Manual pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Was just curious if someone makes a rotary style transfer pump that would be food safe (for brewing of course) that is manually operated instead of electric motor?

I have been doing some searching around the web and see nothing that fits this bill, just trying to see if anyone knows of any or has better google-fu than I.

Google diy peristaltic pump. If you're handy you can make one with stuff you might already have around the house and/or a few bucks.

FYI: I'm a big DIY person and after I built something "acceptable" for small batches, I still ended up buying some pumps, a few cheap and one march pump. Check this thread if you decide to go the cheap route https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-pump-fda-approved-12v-100c-337933/

Those things spin pretty fast- you'd have to be doing a ton of cranking for a very long time to get any significant flow. Why would you want a manual one?

Those things spin pretty fast- you'd have to be doing a ton of cranking for a very long time to get any significant flow. Why would you want a manual one?

Seems to me if it were a manual pump it would be gear driven to compensate for the high rpm needed so a person didn't wear out their arm spinning it up, this is assuming it is designed to be used as a manual pump.

Even if it was still high geared it wouldn't be all that difficult to gear it down through various means to get a comfortable spin pace to keep rpms up for desired transfer rate.

Why? No real reason just curious if anyone builds one or has experience with one and with a 5-10 gallon system it would be a simple option IMO.

You could probably hook up a DIY peristaltic pump to a bike wheel. Make your friends pedal for their beer.

Back