Ingredients laying around. Need ideas for a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive Drab

Reaction score
I have 2 cans of 3.3 lbs munton liquid extract
1 pound bag of dry malt extract
1 pound bag of carafoam 2 row barley malt, uncrushed
2 oz of Saaz hops
Wyeast 3068 yeast

is there anything i can cook up besides a basic wheat beer with this? Does anyone know of any small purchases i could make to make somthing nice? I have a wit bier I just bottled so I dont want the same thing. Im going overseas for a while and I want to use this stuff before it goes bad.

thanks in advance

Olive Drab said:
I have 2 cans of 3.3 lbs munton liquid extract
1 pound bag of dry extract
1 pound bag of barley malt, uncrushed
2 oz of Saaz hops
Wyeast 3068 yeast

is there anything i can cook up besides a basic wheat beer with this? Does anyone know of any small purchases i could make to make somthing nice? I have a wit bier I just bottled so I dont want the same thing. Im going overseas for a while and I want to use this stuff before it goes bad.

thanks in advance

Sounds like you have enough malt for two brews depending on size of your fermenter. Suggest you look at some crystal malts to add to the malts to make some simple pale ales. The barley malt will need crushing and mashing (a mini mash is easy and you can add the crystal malt to it). Some more hops will be needed.

That Wyeast 3068 limits your choices quite a bit. If you want something other than a clovey, estery beer, that small purchase should include another yeast.
The amount and type of hops you have there also are somewhat limiting, as you have very few IBUs to work with.

It sounds like you have about half of any number of recipes, depending on how you want to group those ingredients. All you need is the other half, and that's pretty much wide open.

TL

you need some bittering hops too.

I love saaz for lighter, delicate beers for the flavor and/or aroma addition...but the low AA% in saaz makes them spendy for bittering additions.

stock up on some dry yeasts too. Nottingham, Windsor, and some of the fermentis 'dry ale' varieties.

You could get an ounce of a bittering hop and wet roast the malt at 350F for an hour. Use the Saaz for flavor & aroma. Ferment it at the low end of the temperature scale (64F) to reduce esters.

That would be minimal investment.

+1 on purchasing a new yeast. You don't seem to have any actual wheat (whether it be extract or grains), so I'd skip that yeast and pick up some Safale or Nottingham and shoot for a pale ale as others have said. I'd definitely pick up a higher AAU bittering hop as well and use the Saaz for flavor/aroma.

Here's an idea, stolen from the latest issue of BYO: Blonde Ale.

Use your tins of extract (I presume it's Light extract), use the entire pound of Carafoam (because you're only going to get about 20% of the useful stuff in a steep), and add the Saaz in one bittering charge. The only thing you'll need to buy is a coupla bucks worth of Nottingham Ale or SafAle yeast.

It ain't an Imperial Pilsner, but you can brew and bottle it in 7-10 days!

Which reminds me: When are you leaving and how long will you be gone?

Cheers,

Bob

Latest posts

Back