Ancient Lemon-Lime-Coconut Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinCider

Reaction score
So i was thinking of doing a JOAM variation...lemon, lime, coconut today. Sticking to the JOAM recipe and mixing in new fruits. As i have started to study up on coconut it seems the oils in the coconut would be a huge problem.
After researching some more i came across i coconut wine recipe on Jack Kellars site. They boil the coconut for 15 min and then add the water to the carboy. Does this seem like a good idea? Do any of you have experience with this method? Come hell or high water i will be making this around noonish today. Any thoughts would be great!

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request183.asp

:ban::ban::ban::mug::tank:

Thanks for the help fellas. I ended up toasting the Coconut to try and get rid of the oils as much as i could before putting them into the carboy. The coconut was expanding like crazy...it was almost to the airlock when i left for work. Hopefully there won't be a mess to clean up when i get home.

:)

Thanks for the help fellas. I ended up toasting the Coconut to try and get rid of the oils as much as i could before putting them into the carboy. The coconut was expanding like crazy...it was almost to the airlock when i left for work. Hopefully there won't be a mess to clean up when i get home.

:)
Well I'd have thought that if you aerate it twice a day for the first 1/3rd of the ferment, the stirring action should get some O2/air into it for the yeast development but also remove some of the dissolved CO2 that might cause an issue in the early stages of the ferment.

If you do, just stir it slowly to start with and if using a carboy type fermenter, it might be best to place it in a sink first......

So i Bottled this stuff today. Its really really good. The coconut oils were definitely a problem. I had to use Benoite to clear the mead. It worked in maybe an hour! I was shocked to see it clear that fast after the addition. I think this will be my next 5 gallon project...but this time i will use coconut extract to get the flavor I'm looking for since i lost probably a bottle using the Benoite....live and learn.

So i Bottled this stuff today. Its really really good. The coconut oils were definitely a problem. I had to use Benoite to clear the mead. It worked in maybe an hour! I was shocked to see it clear that fast after the addition. I think this will be my next 5 gallon project...but this time i will use coconut extract to get the flavor I'm looking for since i lost probably a bottle using the Benoite....live and learn.
I was a bit worried about a similar loss last time I back sweetened and modified a batch.

I did the sweetening, then thought it needed some acid and a little tannin.

It was already cleared before I started but I ended up with cloudiness too start with, then I got a lot of fluffy reddish/brown looking sediment and figured I'd lose a lot, like a bottle or 2 worth.

But I decided to leave it too see what might happen.

It took a couple of weeks, but it (the lees) compacted down nicely to about 5mm deep instead of about 40mm.

The oil comments will help me too, as I have a "christmas pudding" flavoured mead clearing, and while most of the fat from the crimbo puds floated out and could be removed, there's a little bit sitting on the top still, so I might just hit it with the bentonite and let it do it's clearing thing.......

Either way, this thread has encouraged me too start thinking of a batch that has some coconut in it. Whereas before I'd presumed that the oil might be a big problem, perhaps it's an issue but not a problem........

Currently pondering coconut, lime and pineapple....... we'll see if it ever reaches the light of day !

I made the coconut wine recipe from the Jack Keller website about 2 years ago. Not a drop left, last bottle consumed at Christmas. I did not want to mess with a fresh coconut, not that it is called for, but I used unsweetened coconut chips sourced from www.nuts.com, and I used half the amount of dates plus 1 cup palm sugar. And then I had no Sauternes wine yeast available so I used Cote de blanc, OG was 1.085. I had no issues with oils or rancidity. I also deviated yet again by racking, once dry, onto 2 cups of lightly toasted coconut chips, and they remained intact for about 2 weeks. The dates imparted a light golden hue. Would definitely make again.

Back