Help woth serving line diameter and length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
I have done a bunch of research and found myself becoming more confused with the more research I do. There are so many varying opinions about this subject. I'd be serving at around 40 F in my mini fridge with 2- 2.5 gallon ball lock kegs. I will be most likely serving around 10-11 PSI to achieve 2.4-2.5 vols.

I've heard 10 ft of 1/4" is the way to go, but how about a shorter length of 3/16"? How long should a hose of 3/16" be for my setup.

It's 8 to 10 feet of 3/16th" vinyl you should be using. I would start with the 10 feet first, if pouring too slow, just cut 1 foot off at a time till you get the right flow. The only thing that a line thats too long or has too much resistance will cause, is a slow pour, not foaming!! 1/4 inch line is too large for a short draw system, it only has .65 pounds of resistance per foot!! Hope that helps some!!

Here is the article that helped me out

http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/keg-line-length-balancing-the-science-of-draft-beer/

The gist of it below:
3/16″ ID vinyl tubing = 3 psi/ft
1/4″ ID vinyl tubing = 0.85 psi/ft
3/16″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 2.2 psi/ft
1/4″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 0.5 psi/ft
3/8″ OD Stainless tubing = 0.2 psi/ft
5/16″ OD Stainless tubing = 0.5 psi/ft
1/4″ OD Stainless tubing = 2 psi/ft

@ 40degrees and 10psi you are looking at 2.3 volumes of CO2.

Table here
http://www.zahmnagel.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=HuVGZ8tLaow=&tabid=81

Good Luck

-BBS

Thank you! Love everything from beersmith. Very easy, and straight forward.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/keg-line-length-balancing-the-science-of-draft-beer/

The gist of it below:

Table here

Good Luck

-BBS

The gist of it below:

Table here

Good Luck

-BBS

It helps to keep in mind that those resistance figures and the beersmith equations are all assuming ~1gal/min flow rate. One gal/min may be too fast if you're storing/serving your beer warmer than 38°, or if you're carbing over ~2.8 vol. Line resistance figures are not constant, but vary depending on flow rate. Once you slow the flow down, the resistance figures and equations will no longer apply. That's why you see so many recommendations around here for 10-12' of 3/16" line even though the calculators and equations usually call for about half of that length (or less).

Also keep in mind that the line balancing calculators are designed to give the shortest possible length that won't create excessive foaming, which isn't necessarily the ideal line length. As mentioned above, the only side effect of lines that are longer is a slightly slower pour. IMO it's better to have longer lines that take an extra second to fill a pint glass, but can handle a wide variety of serving temperatures and carb levels. As always, YMMV.

I ended up going with 12' 1/4" line. My calculations showed that at 11 psi I need 11.7 feet of 1/4" so it should be perfect. Thanks guys. I will be installing my perlicks and serving lines today, I will update how it all turns out.

I hope it works for you. I also hope you're not using a tower, since any tower warming issues will be 3 times worse using the larger diameter beer line. I also hope you don't plan on serving any beer at a warmer temp or higher carb level than whatever you used for the calculations.

I look forward to the "glass full of foam" update! Haha hopefully it works for you though.

I don't understand why you would go with 1/4" ID. Even if the calculations were correct, you'd be able to get away with much shorter lines in 3/16. You're going to regret the 1/4" decision no matter what, unfortunately.

This is what I was told to purchase from a friend here on HBT. I was going to do the 3/16" route but I was told to get 1/4". I figured he knew more than myself. Besides spending a little more and taking up room, what will I regret? Will it not work correctly?

I don't understand why you would go with 1/4" ID. Even if the calculations were correct, you'd be able to get away with much shorter lines in 3/16. You're going to regret the 1/4" decision no matter what, unfortunately.

This is what I was told to purchase from a friend here on HBT. I was going to do the 3/16" route but I was told to get 1/4". I figured he knew more than myself. Besides spending a little more and taking up room, what will I regret? Will it not work correctly?

It will hold way more beer in the lines, which will exacerbate any issues with the lines. Issues like warming in the tower, temperature stratification inside the fridge, or flavor taint from the vinyl will be ~4 times worse. That's in addition to needing 3.5 times longer line that's also thicker, stiffer, and harder to keep tucked out of the way.

And as mentioned above, many people need longer lines than what the calculators figure since they're based on flawed assumptions, so if that's the case then you'll need even longer lines, and any issues will be that much worse.

If you don't have any of those problems, then it should work fine. You'll just have way more line than necessary making a tangled mess in your fridge.

I don't understand why you would go with 1/4" ID. Even if the calculations were correct, you'd be able to get away with much shorter lines in 3/16. You're going to regret the 1/4" decision no matter what, unfortunately.[/QUOhave. 12 feet of 1/4" is not working as well as I expected. Its pouring a toTE]

Ya, I currently hate the lines that I n of foam. I'm going to give it a chance though. My beer hasn't even been in the keg for a week and the carbonation isn't quite there. I may switch to around 10 feet of 3/16". I don't want to have to turn the pressure down every time I want a beer.

Finished it on Saturday:
K28PN.jpg

Back