Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
I have purchased the ingredients for 3 beers to brew up tonight and tomorrow. They are all from the clone brews book. My question is in each one they list the ingredients for extract brewing and at the bottom tell what grains to buy for all grain. I am doing brew in the bag for these, but 2 of them call for 8 ounces of corn sugar at the beginning of the boil and one calls for 1 pound of clear candi sugar. Are these sugars needed or advised with the all grain or should they only be used in extract? I have the sugars on hand. Will they do harm if added besides maybe drying them out and adding alcohol

Old Speckled Hen English Ale
Murphy's Irish Stout
Scotch Silly Scottish Ale

Thanks,

Not adding them will result in a lower gravity, of course, but will also increase the bitterness from your hops, so even if you add them at FO, you'll end up with a different beer than the recipes specify.

You don't want to add them to the grains, you want to add them once the grains are removed.

Pete

Correct I was going to add them to the beginning of the boils when first hops is added.

So instead I shouldnt add them as the extract calls for.

It depends on what you are making, many styles call for a dry finish and those will have added sugar in many instances. It can be added anywhere in the boil.

The impact of 1/2 to 1 pound of sugar on hop utilization is of no concern.

If they are listed in the clone recipe, they are required for the recipe, and you need to add them if you intend to come out with the same outcome as the recipe! They are needed. That's why it's called a recipe :D

You can't make chicken soup without chicken!

If they are listed in the clone recipe, they are required for the recipe, and you need to add them if you intend to come out with the same outcome as the recipe! They are needed. That's why it's called a recipe :D

You can't make chicken soup without chicken!

TopherM is absolutely correct, the beer will not be the same without the sugars added. IMO you can actually add them towards the end of the boil because all you really want is the sugar to dissolve in the wort, there is no need to boil a simple sugar for 60 minutes. I usually just add them in the last 10-15 minutes with a little stir.

Back