American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brew2enjoy said:
Kegged an AG batch of this Monday, pulled a pint last night and it's great. Needs to clear a little more, not sure if I am going to put gelatin on this one yet. The color seems lighter then the real thing but it's pretty close in flavor/aroma. I followed the hop schedule in Sam's "Xtreme Brewing" book. It calls for mixing all the hops together and continually hopping right from the beginning (instead of just warrior for the first 30). It also calls for a 1/2oz of Amarillo at flamout. Dryhopping was the same (1oz Amarillo, 1/2oz Sincoe). Really turned out well, and it's still young.

Does he give the exact schedule and the hops? Wondering if there's Palisade in there.

But if hes dry hopping that would push it to 5 weeks, I wouldn't go anymore than 2. Either rack the beer off the hops or remove the bag if you have them in one and do what he suggested about bottling a sixer.

Yeah,
I don't have another carboy to rack onto and I had just thrown in the pellets in there so no bag to remove either. Guess will just have to take a chance on this one and watch it like a hawk everyday for signs

I used this recipe as a guide and used comparable hops I had on hand. After one week in primary and one week in secondary with dry hops, I legged the batch. One week later I am now drinking what is arguably, the best IPA I've ever had. I'm also quasi choking on a piece of popcorn kernel that's stuck in my throat. Lucky me, I get to try and drink it away! Cheers!!!

I brewed this 4 weeks ago; 2 weeks in primary, 1 week dry hopped and bottled 1 week ago. My question is when I did a test bottle today it barely hissed and was nearly 100% flat. I feel I may have under pitched with only 1 pack of s-05 dry yeast rehydrated. I added about 3/4th cup of priming sugar and you can taste the sweetness is still there. Conditioning temp is 68. Any thoughts on if this will improve with time or should I add a bit of yeast to each bottle?

duhviz said:
I brewed this 4 weeks ago; 2 weeks in primary, 1 week dry hopped and bottled 1 week ago. My question is when I did a test bottle today it barely hissed and was nearly 100% flat. I feel I may have under pitched with only 1 pack of s-05 dry yeast rehydrated. I added about 3/4th cup of priming sugar and you can taste the sweetness is still there. Conditioning temp is 68. Any thoughts on if this will improve with time or should I add a bit of yeast to each bottle?

2-3 weeks in the bottle, all will be good. One pack of S05 is fine.

Give it some time. When I bottled, I typically had to wait 3-4 weeks, especially at that temp. If you won't a faster product, put your bottles in a warmer area (75ish) and it will shave off a week. Or your can start kegging like I did last year. Pm me and I will give you my kegging advice.

Tank

Thanks for the advice on waiting, turned out great. So good in fact I entered it in a local home brew competition. My only variation was to use biscuit malt and s 05.

Brewing this up today. I'm a bit disappointed as I was only able to source pellet hops in time to brew today, but I'm sure it'll still be good.

Since I do partial mash full boils (really need to just go AG), I simply put 5lbs of DME in to replace some of the 2-row. I'm left with about 5.25 lbs of 2 row and amber to mash in a 5 gallon cooler. Shouldn't be an issue.

This will be my first brew to put on tap on a 7cu ft freezer I'm about to convert. 10 inch collar, 3 taps.

brewed a 10 gal batch of this, and just finished drinking my last keg... this brew was great, i'm planing on brewing it again very soon.. I used pellet hops for the dry hopping also. the only critisism i could give is that i don't remember dogfish 60 being THIS grapefruity... the amarillo made this VERY grapefruity, now i havn't had dogfish for well over a year as i live in canada and it's hard to come by out here... But friends of mine that enjoy craft beer were over and couldn't stop drinking it.. it was a great brew.

I think when it's really fresh (like a fresh keg on tap), the DFH is grapefruity. But I've only been able to get some aged/older bottles and it's much more subdued than my version.

I was at a graduation party yesterday, and an aquaintance was talking about a friend's awesome IPA and that it was his favorite beer. Just then, the friend walked up (lschiavo from this forum) and laughed and pointed to me and said "it's her recipe!"

I think the reason it's so good is that it's hoppy, but not bitter. I love a good firmly bitter IPA of course, but this beer is not very bitter and so it's refreshing and easy to drink.

I've been dabbling with lowering the OG to try to make it a session beer for quite a while now, but my favorite version is still the original!

Hey guys! I'm new to brewing and interested in this clone since it is my favorite IPA. I was trying to look through the pages but is the recommended recipe still the one on the first page from 2007? I am interested in doing extract or partial mash. Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm new to brewing and interested in this clone since it is my favorite IPA. I was trying to look through the pages but is the recommended recipe still the one on the first page from 2007? I am interested in doing extract or partial mash. Thanks!

I brewed the original extract version Yooper list in the front of this thread and it came out amazing. I would not change a thing! For extract, it was very close to the original DFH from what I can remember. Good luck!

So my second attempt at this bad-boy came out quite swimmingly. So delicious and packs a punch - I mashed at a few degress lower than I should have thanks to a poorly-calibrated thermometer, but all in all a great showcase for the simcoe hops and a touch of amber malt. One of my favourites.

Dogfish 60 on tap is definitely a bonus to have at my house.

I doubled all but the bittering hops. I just couldn't believe that that few hops would result in a 60 Minute clone. Beer was great, not sure I'd go with the OP recipe exactly, just my taste. I did two batches of a Pale Ale with only 2nd dry hop and it was barely noticeable, 3 oz was very nice. On second though, I'd make the OP recipe and just have a bigger IPA on tap next to it.

cant get my hands on the 6 oz of thomas fawcett amber.... any recs on what i should get as a substitute. Also, NB is out of amarillo gold; is the zythos blend a good sub for this recipe?
thanks in advance!

harpsbight said:
cant get my hands on the 6 oz of thomas fawcett amber.... any recs on what i should get as a substitute. Also, NB is out of amarillo gold; is the zythos blend a good sub for this recipe?
thanks in advance!

Farmhouse brewing has both, do not substitute! Zythos if anything is close to Citra in my experience.

Hey Yoopers, kudos' for a great recipe. I have brewed the extract version twice with great success <hiccup> and now I want to give this a try for my first AG brew. My LHBS carries everything except TF Amber malt and I cannot find any online, either. So my question to you.. what would be a good substitution for the Fawcett Amber malt? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Yoopers, kudos' for a great recipe. I have brewed the extract version twice with great thesuccess <hiccup> and now I want to give this a try for my first AG brew. My LHBS carries everything except TF Amber malt and I cannot find any online, either. So my question to you.. what would be a good substitution for the Fawcett Amber malt? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Well, in descending order of preference (and I've brewed this beer many, many times in various permutations): TF amber malt; crisp amber malt; aromatic malt; biscuit malt; victory malt; crystal 60L malt; maris otter.

They've all been great, as this beer is about the hopping. But my favorite version has been with the Thomas Fawcett amber malt, by a lot. The second best was with Crisp amber malt. If I was out of amber malt, though, the aromatic malt version was very nice and I really liked the victory malt version as well.

I think I used brown malt in one, but I can't find those notes so I can't prove that.

Hey Yoopers. This will definitely become a staple around the house, so I look forward to experimenting with these malts. I did find an online brew shop that sell TF amber, but $18 shipping isn't worth 6oz. So my search continues... Thanks again for your assistance.

I'm brewing this today, and I was out of amber malt and didn't realize it!

So today's brew (10 gallon batch) is 22 pounds of two-row, 8 ounces of melanoidin, and 4 ounces of victory malt. It's what I had, so I decided to do it. I'm using magnum for bittering. The sparge is almost finished, and I'm measuring hops now. It smells soooooo good in here!:ban:

Happy National IPA Day everybody! Even though for most of us that's everyday. Let us know how that combo of malt works out Yooper, seems alot of people can't find the TF Amber.

buildzit said:
Any thoughts on using a WY2565 Kolsch. Have it sitting around from a BierMuncher Kona pale ale.

I'd like to hear those results, been thinking about a Kolsch yeast in an IPA.

Brewing this today! Am very excited as DFH 60 is the beer that got me into craft, and they no longer distribute anywhere near me. Also, my first time using leaf hops.

Mine is fermenting this morning! I have two 5-gallon fermenters chugging along. I used S05 in one, and S04 in the other. The S05 is at 68 degrees, and I have the S04 at 66 degrees.

Whew! Turns out that "continuous hopping" is a bit of work! I was pretty diligent about it though, spreading the hop additions perfectly throughout the entire boil, throwing them in every 45 seconds or so. I have a good feeling about this one, it'll be worth it.

Chug said:
Whew! Turns out that "continuous hopping" is a bit of work! I was pretty diligent about it though, spreading the hop additions perfectly throughout the entire boil, throwing them in every 45 seconds or so. I have a good feeling about this one, it'll be worth it.

Damn, that's dedicated. But yes, it will definitely be awesome.

I am ten days into my first AG brew with this recipe. I made around a 5g batch. My cousin is telling me to dry hop right into the current carboy, trub and all. Is secondary really necessary? Am I opening a whole other debate/thread? I have another 5g glass carboy if everyone thinks a transfer to secondary is necessary. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Back