Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA Recipe Critique PLEASE.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickwalker

Reaction score
Any help I can get on the recipe below would be much appreciated. I've been working off a bunch of Surly Furious clone recipes to come up with the grain bill. I've been collecting simcoe, citra, and amarillo hops in my freezer and would like to finally brew with some of them.

I'd like to brew this on saturday (3/24) so take a look at it and tell me how this looks.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Efficiency: 70%
Yeast: US-05

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 7.07%
IBU (tinseth): 97.67
SRM (morey): 15.25

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - Pale 2-Row (53.3%)
5 lb - Golden Promise (33.3%)
0.625 lb - Aromatic (4.2%)
0.75 lb - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5%)
0.125 lb - Roasted Barley (0.8%)
0.5 lb - Honey Malt (3.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Summit (AA 15) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Simcoe (AA 12.7) for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Amarillo (AA 8.6) for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Simcoe (AA 12.7) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Amarillo (AA 8.6) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Simcoe (AA 12.7) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Amarillo (AA 8.6) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.75 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Simcoe (AA 12.7) for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Amarillo (AA 8.6) for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.75 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Simcoe (AA 12.7), Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop
1 oz - Amarillo (AA 8.6), Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop
1 oz - Citra (AA 11), Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop

I'd drop the roasted barley and use a cleaner bittering hop, like magnum. Summit can be a bit oniony/garlicy when used at 60 min.

Ohh.. I skipped over the clone part. Sorry. Up to you.. Personally, I don't make clone beers. And I know it's splitting hairs semantically but I do stuff "in the style of". That way I can do something reasonably close and still use what I want. I've never had surly furious (I don't think we get that in this wasteland called vegas) but I'd just use it as your muse. How dark is it? What are the malt notes are they toasted or caramelized? I'd let that be the deciding factor between that and say a crystal 120 which would give you some dark sugar flavors.

If you check northern brewer they have a kit and also you can check the recipe ingredients. Going by that there really aren't that many hops in the boil but the dry hop is massive, something like 6 or 8 ounces for a 5 gallon batch. So if you hope to clone that beer maybe reserve those hops for the massive dry hop.

Drop the Roasted barley. If you want a little more color, use .5oz of Carafa III or some other de-bittered black. Drop the honey malt too, i'm not a fan of that malt in IPAs.

Summit is fine for bittering. I only pickup onion from that hop when it's used late. Summit, Magnum or Warrior would all be fine for bittering.

Recipe looks good. I use that hop combination quite a bit. It's really fruity, and citrusy. There's a really sweet fruit character that comes through. I get like mango and strawberry from that combo.

I actually really like adding very small amounts of roasted barley for color and a very slight hint of roastiness. that said, I'd get rid of the honey malt. I love honey but hate that malt.

I'm drinking a recipe with these hops this right now, only mine was an OG 1.060 and ended up around 1.012. I also did not have the 10 minute hop addition or honey or roasted malt. Dry hopped using leaf hops. First tap out of the keg was out of this world delicious citrus aroma and taste, almost a sweet flavor from the hops that complemented their bitterness. My only regret is not dry hopping in the keg...the aroma and to an extent the flavor of the hops fades only too fast. I am 2/3 through the keg, and while still good it is a shadow of its former glory.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm going to keep the summit. I bought two 4oz packages on sale from ApexBrewWares and have used it in a single hop APA. It came out great and didnt get any onion/garlic out of it at all.
For the record I'm not looking to clone Surly Furious. Its a beer I enjoy and I thought I'd use a similar grain bill because I liked its malt profile.

Thehopguy: The FG is just what BrewersFriend(.com) calculated.

Here's the New grain bill, got rid of honey malt and roasted barley:
8 lb - Pale 2-Row (55.7%)
5 lb - Golden Promise (34.8%)
0.625 lb - Aromatic (4.3%)
0.75 lb - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.2%)

I am 2/3 through the keg, and while still good it is a shadow of its former glory.

Sometimes, I just re-dry hop. Just open the keg and throw an ounce or two in. It really helps. Only takes a few hours to notice the difference too, and the next day you really notice the difference. I love hops!

Here is what I'm going to go with. Thanks for the help, brewing saturday will report back...

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 6.97%
IBU (tinseth): 94.27
SRM (morey): 11.5