Plastic like taste with keg lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
Has anyone ever noticed a strange, plastic like taste coming from black vinyl tap lines?

I've noticed it now ever since I replaced my tap lines with around 24 feet or so of black vinyl 1/4" tubing. I only notice it with the first pour. If I dump the first ounce or two I don't notice it. Will this go away eventually or should I look for a different type of tubing? What kind do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Black vinyl tubing? Was it food-safe?

I would definitely replace that stuff with some good NSF 51 beer line.

Okay, just checked it. It's actually PVC tubing, NSF-51. Should be the right stuff?

PVC can impart a taste. If you get Accuflex Bev-seal ultra (3/16 and 1/4 available) you won't have any issues (or another glass lined tubing). I think bird man is selling some.

5' of clear tubing has a slight hint of plastic which is no big deal to me. I can't even taste it with the beers on tap right now unless I pour a shot glass as the first pour. 24' of pvc is going to have a lot of it. Either get the rigid tubing suggested or 8' of 3/16' pvc.

Back