recipe revision help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski36t

Reaction score
I tried a Magic Hat Circus Boy Hefe Clone with the following recipe. I did a side by side comparison yesterday and I wasn't close. Well is wasn't that bad, but significantly off.

I used

7 lbs wheat malt
7 lbs 2-row
(been having efficiency problems, thats why the high grain bill)

Magnum for bittering
Amarillo @ 15 and 5

The OG was 1.055. A little higher than I wanted but I decided to go for it. I also mashed little higher than I wanted to so mine has a little bit more body.

I used Wyeast 1010 and fermented around 70 degrees.

They main difference was my beer didn't have that "tangyness" to it. My beer was also much ligher (in color) than the circus boy, but I don't mind that. It is that tangyness that I really like about this beer and want to know how to emulate.

Did I use the wrong yeast? Forget an ingredient?

Never had the beer, but based on your description I'd say it's probably the yeast. Maybe one of the more phenolic/estery German wheat yeasts (3056, 3068, 3333) would do the trick?

I haven't had the beer, but in a traditional Hefe the medium to high levels of carbonation introduce an acidic component so keep that in mind as well.

zoebisch01 said:
I haven't had the beer, but in a traditional Hefe the medium to high levels of carbonation introduce an acidic component so keep that in mind as well.

I have it kegged and force carbonated at around 2.4 volumes. Wouldn't this be high enough?

Bike N Brew said:
Never had the beer, but based on your description I'd say it's probably the yeast. Maybe one of the more phenolic/estery German wheat yeasts (3056, 3068, 3333) would do the trick?

After looking up the yeast profiles. I think 3333 will do the trick. I have used 3068 before and I don't think that would work well for what I am going for. I am not really sure why I went with 1010 in the first place...seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think the "tangyness" as I decribed it may also be described as tart, which the 3333 yeast is described as in its taste profile.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Back