Cellar or Drink??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMbrewer

Reaction score
Got a Stone Vertical Epic 10-10-10 for xmas!!!! I don't have access to Stone beer where I live. Should I drink it or cellar it?

Always nice to see other Iowans on here. I've never had Stone and obviously I don't have access to it either. But I guess if it were me, I'd enjoy it and then you could say, "Oops, I'm out. Better plan a trip to California to get some more."

I tried the 10-10-10 in October. I didn't believe the Muscat and Tripel flavors had blended together yet. For me I would cellar it. Although I have another I am saving.

Or if you really want to go nuts sell it on ebay.

This particular brew? Cellar it and enjoy it next summer, or cellar it for a whole year.

Every single review I've read said it's not very pleasant "green" and needs to age a bit before the wine flavors mature.

I bought a bottle back in November, thinking I would drink it this week but I've decided to hold off a while and give it a chance to mature. YMMV, of course.

I picked up one of the vertical epics and drank it and was completely unimpressed. To the point where I was annoyed spending that much on it. So, if I were you I'd cellar it. I think my impression was due to it needing some time to come into itself.

My wife was trying to find me some Stone Double Bastard and Lucky Bastard. She found the Vertical Epic and bought me 5 bombers. I did want a bottle, but not necessarily 5. I figure I will drink one every couple months after I get back from deployment to see how they age. I didn't care for it last year when I got some straight from Stone's tap.

Drink it and if you like it find someone on here who might be willing to ship you another bottle or 2 for cellaring. Best of both worlds!

I am cellaring my bottle. Along with a bottle of Siera Nevadas 30th anniversary black barleywine I managed to get a hold of and a few others.

I've got three, I had to buy them this year because my birthday happened to fall on 10-10-10. When i saw it at BevMo I knew it was a sign. Might drink one for new years and enjoy the others a couple years down the road.

I have a bottle of 09-09-09 that I've been sitting on. I think I am going to trade it. I think I'll be able to get more in return than I'd actually enjoy it.

I was not a fan of 10-10-10, but loved the 09-09-09.

All were drinkable... some better than others.

I say drink it. If it floats-your-boat then see if someone will swap you a shipment.

Back