Well pump issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
Anyone have some experience dealing with well pumps? My issue is as follows. Run water for some time, say a shower, water is running fine then dies off to a trickle for a short time, the well pump kicks in and flow comes back.

What I have done. I emptied the pressure tank, and tested the pressure. I made sure this was about 2psi less than the cut on pressure for the pump, per instructions. This had no impact on the flow cutting out. I then began looking at the pressure switch for the pump. Changing the cut in pressure and cut out had no impact and seemed to make it a little worse. I then replaced the switch all together. It seemed to get MUCH better. I was able to notice a dead period before the pump kicked on but there was still flow unlike before.

I also cleaned out the tube that connects between the pump and the switch as well as the fittings on both ends. They were dirty and had noticeable build up, but were still unrestricted.

Now we are back to where we were before, flow dies off until the pump kicks in. Any thoughts on this? I have scoured the interwebz repeatedly and looked at multiple suggestions but can't seem to pin down what is going on.

Here is my setup. Well pump cut in/30psi cut out 50psi pressure tank is pressurized to 28 psi as tested empty.

I'm by no means an expert but I just re-did my entire system. It was 30 years old and way past it's 20 year expectancy. I did learn a lot along the way. Does your pressure valve record the increase and decrease from 30 to 50 psi? If it is recording the pressure then your problem may be simple. You may want to take off the filter on the mouth of your faucet. It might have gotten clogged. I have a recommendation on a website with a really good forum where I learned everything I needed to know. Not sure if it's against the bylaws to repost something like this on this forum. You may have something electrical with the switch going back to the pump. Let's hope it's something simple like a clog :)

Thanks for the response. However I think it's a bit more than a clogged screen, as the water flow dropping off is at all locations in the house.

If you are referring to the pressure gauge on the pump then yes the pressure change is registered there. It is cutting in and out properly, I am not sure if the pressure tank is the issue here or not.

I can't imagine someone getting upset about you posting a recommendation for a forum on this topic.

Ok. Odd name but check out the forum at www.terrylove.com. Really good moderators with quick responses. It might be the pressure tank. You said there was crud in there so I was hoping it was just the filter. The tank is the only other fail factor on the way to your shower other than the pipes. I was able to replace my tank system in 30 minutes for half the price a supposed local expert well supply store and that's before labor. Talk about a rip off. I've run into so many plumbers that have no clue what they're doing I did it myself. Good news is I finally ran into a reputable plumber along the way and it was fun learning how the system worked. Next up is the installation of a new system filter and softening system :) Good luck and post what the final problem was.

Actually just remembered, all my faucets had low flow after I replaced the system. Crud had made it thru after the work. I took off the filters for a couple of days to clean out all the junk and I was fine.

Try testing the flow from a hose connected to the petcock on the manifold near the switch/gauge/tank tee. If you don't experience the same drop in flow rate there as you are seeing in the house I would suspect a partial blockage in either the line to the house or the indoor plumbing. A restriction would cause a greater flow rate decrease as the pressure drops close to 30psi than it causes at 50psi.

Some of the pipes in the older house that I moved out of had so much rust build up that they would restrict the flow to about 1/2 gal/min. when another faucet would flow 2 gal/min. The flow rate would change considerably when the pressure was changed.

Latest posts

Back