fermentation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evlgenius74

Reaction score
I am making a graff. started it fri afternoon...it bubbled like mad...so vigorous it was almost a constant bubble. its now 2 days later and its slowed to a bubble every 15-20 seconds. is this normal?

ingredient list:
4 gal juice
5 tsp yeast nutrient (recommended amount for 5 gallons)
1 lbs light dme
1 lbs amber dme
1 lbs honey malt
.5 lbs crystal 120
1 gal water
3 apple concentrate cans
safale s-04

OG 1.075

is everything ok? should i fix anything?

i was trying to avoid having to pop it open to take a new reading...but will try to do it tomorrow

It should be fine, from what you've said there will be plenty of CO2 hanging around to prevent oxidation. Just do it quick, then give it a shake when the lid is back on to release some more CO2.

the gravity is between 1.02 and 1.03 from 1.075. hard to tell exactly what it is since it still has a krausen and i dont have any way to pull any out to test outside of the bucket. so basically it fermented almost entirely in 2 days.

Although it has happened before, I think that because you couldn't draw off a sample the CO2 might have been suspending it in the liquid. If you have a pitcher or something similar you should use that, but let it sit out for a bit to go flat!

update: something about cracking it open and messing with it started things up again...no where near as vigorous but its bubbling at what i consider a normal pace. gonna let it do its thing and will update in about a week or so when i guess fermentation should be done.

Latest posts

Back