Missed Gravity : add DME to the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyBrian

Reaction score
So i brewed my 3rd all grain yesterday, Dude's Pliny the Bastid Recipe.
The problem is, after coming short on my projected efficiency and miscalculating my evaportion rate. My OG is only 1.062. I was shooting for 1.076. Im bummed.

So I stopped by my LHBS today and bought 2 lbs of extra light DME. and I'm planning on boiling it, cooling it, and tossing it into the fermenter.

So Im wondering, Has anyone else has ever tried adding DME to the fermenter?
And if so, Did it ferment out nicely or did it just raise your final gravity alot making your final beer too sweet?

And as im typing this its been 22 hours since i pitched the yeast and the fermentation is going strong.

That should work just fine. Just calculate how much DME it requires to raise your gravity and boil it, cool it, and add it. Just don't forget that you will diluting the beer with the water it takes to boil the DME in (this will also reduce the bitterness).

i am just starting on all grain and brewed 2 batches both times the body of the beer has came out light and have gotten low carbonation. I havent checked og but am assuming that the reasoning for this is that i was under on my og and did not add DME to bring the final gravity up giving me a very light bodied beer does this seem right?

I hate to bump an old post, but I'm in this same predicament, my OG was 1.041 and should have been 1.060. It's a 3.75 gallon BIAB. How much DME should I ass to this ??....

Back