Can You Brew It recipe for Oskar Blue's Gordon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil (6 gallons post boil > 5.5 gallons in the fermenter > 5 gallons in bottling bucket/keg), 70% efficiency (though this particular recipe is for 65% efficiency), Morey for color, 15% evaporation, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

Note: the staff originally did not agree that this was cloned. They changed their opinion later due to the clone having a "fresher" taste that could be attributed to the aging of the commercial beer. Some did believe that the homebrew version was "bigger."

The italicized text below is from Nathan Smith's forum post on TBN forum.

Can I brew it? Split decision! Tasty and I say cloned, Justin and Jamil say not cloned (but close!). Dave Chichura will have to help us decide, but either way a re-brew will happen. So, for Dave from Houston Texas and all the other listeners that sent us this challenge, here's the recipe thus far:

Oskar Blues Gordon CYBI - 5 gallons

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.51
Anticipated OG: 1.081 Plato: 19.65
Anticipated SRM: 16
Anticipated IBU: 69.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

All Grain
--------
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.0 14.00 lbs./6.35kg Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.0 1.40 lbs./.63kg Crystal 45L America 1.034 45
6.0 1.05 lbs./.47kg Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
6.0 1.05 lbs./.47kg Carastan 30/37 Great Britian 1.034 30
- 2.5 grams Chocolate Malt America 1.029 250

Extract option
--------------
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
80.0 9.52 lbs. Pale LME America 1.036 2
8.0 .90 lbs. Crystal 45L America 1.034 45
6.0 .70 lbs. Munich LME America 1.037 8
6.0 .70 Carastan 30/37 Great Britian 1.034 30
- 2.5 grams Chocolate Malt America 1.029 250

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz./21g Northern Brewer Pellet 8.50 28.9 80 min.
4.00 oz./113g Columbus Pellet 12.00 40.9 10 min.
2.15 oz./61g Amarillo Pellet 7.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30
Saccharification Rest Temp : 152F Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 165F Time: 30

Water Profile
------------
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/files/Utilities/Water Quality/water_factsheet_4.pdf
Very even sulfate to chloride ratios. Approximately 6ppm each.
Approximately 50ppm calcium.

--------------------

Re-brew potential improvements:
Lower % of chocolate malt slightly for a total SRM of 14
Lower bittering IBU by about 5-7 for a total IBU of about 62
Big pitch of yeast, Keep fermentation temp no higher than 65F

I brewed this one several weeks ago and have it on tap now. Overshot the OG a little bit, so it's about 10%abv ... Got really good mash efficiency considering how high the target OG was. I think I got 72% efficiency where the recipe was for 65%.

There's a thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/brewed-oskar-blues-gordon-clone-today-149607/

I really like the recipe and will brew it again. It turned out a tiny bit sweeter than the real thing, and had a little less hops aroma.

I put the recipe into Brew Builder on brewmasterswarehouse.com

ad1efb40.jpg

I just helped someone put together an extract version of this from the show. Here is what I changed it to. I am a fan of DME whenever possible. Make sure to use late additions.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Gordon clone (extract)
Style: Imperial IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.38 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 14.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs DME Dark Traditional (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 36.83 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 32.23 %
11.2 oz Munich Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 6.45 %
14.4 oz Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM) Grain 8.29 %
11.2 oz CaraMalt - 30/37L (Simpsom) (34.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
1.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (200.Grain 0.55 %
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.70 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (80 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
3.40 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 49.9 IBU

1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Ale Yeast (Fermentis #US-05Yeast-Ale

No results, just a slightly different option for those who prefer DME.

first time finding this thread.

I finally just got around to brewing this. I formulated the recipe as the specs where given on he show from notes i took. Will do a side by side comparison in a few weeks.

i am going to for go the dry hopping though and will be Randall'ing it through the Amarillo's.

I have tried this beer, and it is wonderful, I can't wait for more reviews. I think this is going to be brewed really soon.

Brewed this about 2 months ago and it's starting to come together nicely. Anyone else have tasting notes on this?

I need to do a side-by-side (first I need to find a fresh can of Gordon).

One thing I noticed about it was that the hops bitterness dropped out relatively quickly, leaving it a bit too malty for my tastes. Probably would have mellowed a bit (the sweetness, I mean) over time, but it was gone before it had a chance.

If I was going to brew this again (and I probably will), I'll probably dial up the bittering hops a bit. And drink it quicker before they have time to drop out. :)

Just dry hopped my slightly tweaked version of this recipe tonight. The sample was just what I'd hoped it would be...very close to cloned IMO.

I upped the 60 minute add and added an additional ounce of dry hops. I'll post some tasting notes.

I just helped someone put together an extract version of this from the show. Here is what I changed it to. I am a fan of DME whenever possible. Make sure to use late additions.

No results, just a slightly different option for those who prefer DME.

Kabouter, thanks for doing this because this is one of my favorite brews and am excited to try and reproduce it. I understand the ingredients in your recipe but I'm so used to having a recipe sheet to go by with the kits I've brewed.

My question is how do I translate your dme recipe on brewday? Sorry I'm still a newbie!

Anyone done this recently? It's my next brew and will probably get to it in then next week or so. Looking for some pointers.

Rick500 said:
One thing I noticed about it was that the hops bitterness dropped out relatively quickly, leaving it a bit too malty for my tastes. Probably would have mellowed a bit (the sweetness, I mean) over time, but it was gone before it had a chance.

If I was going to brew this again (and I probably will), I'll probably dial up the bittering hops a bit. And drink it quicker before they have time to drop out. :)

Sounds just like Gordon. When fresh it was nice, but often when I've had it on draft the hops had faded and it became an iced tea bomb.

Brewing this next Wednesday. Frickin excited!

Haven't had Gordon's in a while and could definitely use a fresh version.

By the way, MF Tyler from Brewing Network posted the following:

MF Tyler:

FWIW the boulder water report is no where near what I got back from Ward labs and I live only a few miles from Oskar Blues here in Longmont.
Here's what I got back from Ward on 11/17/2009:

Water Profile
-------------
Profile: Longmont
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 11.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 3.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 2.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 12.2 ppm

pH: 6.60

When I called the local water utility (prior to getting this report) they told me our water was essentially distilled and I didn't believe them so I spent $16 proving them right.
As far as why the water is so different 11 miles away - I don't know - hippies maybe?

Oh, and no I didn't brew this yet. I keep threatening to but keeps getting pushed off.

Pretty damned sure I am brewing it tonight, but tomorrow at the latest.

Oskar Blues mentioned that the Chloride to Sulfate Ratio is basically 1:1
However, it was also mentioned that Chloride and Sulfate were both about 6ppm (Palmer suggests no lower than 50 ppm for sulfate). So I decided to change this close to 50ppm for both Chloride and Sulfate to keep the ratio the same (Balanced Malt and Bitter).

Kept Calcium to 53 ppm (Close to the 50ppm for Gordon).

This is for 5 gallons

Reverse Osmosis Water to start with (Distilled)
Gypsom: 0g
Calc Chloride: 0g
Epsom Salt: 2.5g
Baking Soda: 0g
Non-Iodized Salt: 1.5g
Calcium Carbonate: 2.5g

Calcium: 53 ppm
Magnesium: 12 ppm
Sodium: 31 ppm
Chloride: 48 ppm
Sulfate: 52 ppm

Chloride to Sulfate Ratio: 0.93

5.7g of Ph 5.2 stabilizer (Got this close to 5.5 @ room temp)

Edited my last post to make more sense.

Also, I used a tiny amount of ph 5.2 stabilizer in the mash water since PH seemed to be in the 6.5 range while at room temperature (calculator said it should have been 5.4).

My brew went perfect. My OG was 1.082 and I got a higher efficiency than expected. Very excited.

I'll update this post later with pics, but it will probably stay in Primary for a month or so.

Haputanlas said:
My brew went perfect. My OG was 1.082 and I got a higher efficiency than expected. Very excited.

I'll update this post later with pics, but it will probably stay in Primary for a month or so.

Started dry hopping today. I decided to add 3 oz of Amarillo.

Cold crash and Kegging in about 7 days.

It's ridiculous how good this turned out. This is definitely a keeper.

I will likely keep one of these on tap as often as I can.

The aroma is unbelievable.

I brewed this a week ago using the following recipe. I didn't have carastan available or C45 so I made a few subs. I also lowered the % of chocolate malt and my bittering addition as discussed on the podcast.

14 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt; Briess info
1.05 lbs Munich Malt 10°L
1.5 grams Chocolate Malt; Breiss info
1.4 lbs American Caramel 40°L info
1 lbs American Caramel 20°L info
.5 oz Centennial (Whole, 10 %AA) boiled 80 min. info
2 oz Columbus® (Pellets, 16 %AA) boiled 7 min. info
1 oz Columbus® (Pellets, 16 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
1 oz Columbus® (Pellets, 16 %AA) boiled 2 min. info
4 oz Amarillo® (Whole Leaf, 8.50 %AA) used as dry hop. info

So far the color is really nice, very close to what I remember from drinking it a few weeks ago. Sadly, we don't get Oskar Blues in Ohio. The taste is amazing even being green. I'll post a pint once its ready to go. I also only got an O.G. of 1.060 because of an atrocious crush I got at a new LHBS (seriously it looked like 3 pounds of 2-row wasn't even crushed as I was doughing in). the SG is 1.010 right now and I am assuming its finished.

maxam said:
I brewed this a week ago using the following recipe. I didn't have carastan available or C45 so I made a few subs. I also lowered the % of chocolate malt and my bittering addition as discussed on the podcast.

14 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt; Briess info
1.05 lbs Munich Malt 10°L
1.5 grams Chocolate Malt; Breiss info
1.4 lbs American Caramel 40°L info
1 lbs American Caramel 20°L info
.5 oz Centennial (Whole, 10 %AA) boiled 80 min. info
2 oz Columbus® (Pellets, 16 %AA) boiled 7 min. info
1 oz Columbus® (Pellets, 16 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
1 oz Columbus® (Pellets, 16 %AA) boiled 2 min. info
4 oz Amarillo® (Whole Leaf, 8.50 %AA) used as dry hop. info

So far the color is really nice, very close to what I remember from drinking it a few weeks ago. Sadly, we don't get Oskar Blues in Ohio. The taste is amazing even being green. I'll post a pint once its ready to go. I also only got an O.G. of 1.060 because of an atrocious crush I got at a new LHBS (seriously it looked like 3 pounds of 2-row wasn't even crushed as I was doughing in). the SG is 1.010 right now and I am assuming its finished.

Did you change your hop additions to reflect the poor efficiency? You might end up with a very bitter beer if you didn't.

Did you change your hop additions to reflect the poor efficiency? You might end up with a very bitter beer if you didn't.

nope, in fact I am dry hopping with about 6 oz amarillo right now. I want to make some freezer space for my 2011 amarillo pellets, so I liquidated the '09 whole leaf.

The latest sample was downright delicious. Despite the efficiency hit, it is very well balanced and not overly bitter. Its quite sweet and sticky, but the bitterness stands up to it and its not cloying.. Its going to be super sticky after the dry hop! I'm going to say its the best beer I've tasted out of a fermenter and will hopefully be my best homebrew!

Is that Chocolate Malt measurement correct? If I'm figuring it correctly, that's like a tenth of an ounce (a small pinch)....is that even worth adding at that miniscule quantity? I know chocolate malt is supposed to be potent, but it seems like you'd need to be in the oz quantity to notice it.

Is that Chocolate Malt measurement correct? If I'm figuring it correctly, that's like a tenth of an ounce (a small pinch)....is that even worth adding at that miniscule quantity? I know chocolate malt is supposed to be potent, but it seems like you'd need to be in the oz quantity to notice it.

Yep. I used less as was discussed on the CYBI episode. 1.5 grams or 0.052 ounces. It'd be hard to taste it, but the color benefits from it.

TorribleBrew said:
Haputanlas,
Is there anything you would tweak? also, where did you snag your carastan from?
Thanks!

Yes, the FG ended up at 1.028 (way too high). The funny thing is though, it still tasted amazing.

I brewed this again and got it down to 1.020. Much better. I like this beer to have good mouth feel :)

Oh, and Austin Homebrew is where I get everything.

Brewed this last Saturday... OG was 1.078, a little shy of the 1.082 planned. Hit 1.018 FG, so still works out to 8%... and it just tastes and smells fantastic. I need to go pick up some cans of G'Knight to compare. Tomorrow once I get the temp down to 60F I'll dry-hop with the amarillo.

I brewed with this version of the recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.96 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 19.683 Plato
Estimated Color: 14.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 67.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 6.4 oz Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
1 lbs 0.8 oz Caramalt (Simpsons) (35.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.0 %
1 lbs 0.8 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.0 %
0.2 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 S Grain 5 0.1 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [10.00 %] - Boil 80.0 mi Hop 6 29.5 IBUs
2.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.70 %] - Boil 10. Hop 7 38.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 8.2 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 36.95 qt of water at 161.1 F 152.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

IMAG2437.jpg

If I wanted to brew a 1g batch of this, what should I do about the chocolate malt? I don't have any on hand and wouldn't want to buy 1lb if i'm only using 1/5 of 2.5grams. Also, is there an alternative to the Carastan malt? My LHBS does not carry this and I wouldn't want to do an online order just to get it.

If I wanted to brew a 1g batch of this, what should I do about the chocolate malt? I don't have any on hand and wouldn't want to buy 1lb if i'm only using 1/5 of 2.5grams. Also, is there an alternative to the Carastan malt? My LHBS does not carry this and I wouldn't want to do an online order just to get it.

Crystal 40 will get you close to the carastan, just skip the chocolate malt at that rate it's mostly for color.

Got some cans, canned on 2011-10-14

I can tell I'm short on gravity. I've got too much color. Aroma is much stronger in the homebrew. A bit too much bittering, though with some age, that'll fade and the malt will come out more.

Still, very very tasty. On my system I'd mash a touch higher to get a bit more sweetness.

ForumRunner_20120426_185901.jpg

ForumRunner_20120426_185921.jpg

BlakeL said:
Would 1 pack of US-05 be good for 1g batch of this?

Probably overkill for just 1 gallon. I haven't used dry yeast before but I usually see pitching rates like 1 pack per 5 gallons at 1.040. I think the yeast calc tools on mrmalty.com cover dry yeast as well so you can plug your batch size, and OG to see how much you need.

Thanks for that link. Looks like i'll only need about 1/3 of a packet. Can I just put the rest in a sealed bag and put it in the fridge?

BlakeL said:
Thanks for that link. Looks like i'll only need about 1/3 of a packet. Can I just put the rest in a sealed bag and put it in the fridge?

AFAIK dry yeast doesn't go bad if stored dry. I was just reading that folks do exacty what you are suggesting.

I travel a lot and am trying to plan out my next few brews around my travel schedule. I love Gordon/G'Knight and want to do this one. How much time should I plan on for primary and secondary fermentation using this recipe?

Mine came out awesome...as good as, or better. I rarely compare my brews with the cloned beer head to head if I am satisfied and I was. I did the typical 1 primary -2 secondary (I just kept in fermenter and cold crashed) -3 keg conditioning and it tasted great..it was even good at week 5.

AFAIK dry yeast doesn't go bad if stored dry. I was just reading that folks do exacty what you are suggesting.

I've done this a bunch of times with S-05. I've had certain opened packets stored for 6+ months and re-used without issue.

So I poured Oscar Blues beer last weekend with OB staff. I talked their ear off about all of their beers and learned that this beer no longer has columbus in it. he claimed it was all amarillo. Not sure if that includes the bittering addition. The guy was a reliable source and is fairly high up in the company. He was very knowledgeable about all of their beers and what hops go in it. He also is in charge of their hop farm.

Back