Black char on outside of brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soc

Reaction score
Whenever I brew using my turkey fryer the outside of the pot gets a thick layer of black residue from the direct flames hitting the pot. It doesn't do anything to affect the taste or brew process but it sure is a ***** to clean. Does anyone put aluminum foil or anything around their brewpot before turning on the fryer or is there another easier way that I am missing? I am sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

I just ignore it...I don't bother cleaning it or anything. It just means it's well "seasoned" and loved. :D

Yea but my problem is that I cool it down with an icebath in my basement slop sink. When I put it in the sink a good amount of it comes off and makes it really hard to clean out the sink afterwards.

I think it has to do with your air/propane mixture and the distance from your flame to pot.. Make a CFC :)

Ayup.

Check the throat of the burner for cobwebs and insect parts and adjust the venturi for a nice clean burning flame. The air to gas mix is off somehow and creating the soot.

Pro-Tip:
Take a sponge and smear some straight dish detergent over the bottom and lower 1/3 of the sides. The soot will stick to the detergent and wash right off in the ice bath, or just hose it off prior to the ice bath. Works a champ cooking on open camp fires as well.

Ayup.

Check the throat of the burner for cobwebs and insect parts and adjust the venturi for a nice clean burning flame. The air to gas mix is off somehow and creating the soot.

Pro-Tip:
Take a sponge and smear some straight dish detergent over the bottom and lower 1/3 of the sides. The soot will stick to the detergent and wash right off in the ice bath, or just hose it off prior to the ice bath. Works a champ cooking on open camp fires as well.

Do both of these. Specially the adjusting of the fuel/air mix. And if you do need to scrub it off anymore, Bar Keepers Friend works wonders.

Aww, come on aren't we going to tell him it can't be help and to spend oodles of money to convert to Pol's all electric HERMS?

Seriously Soc, the advice is spot on. Check your mixture, ensure the burner area is clean and unobstructed. If you continue to get soot with the flame burning a nice bright blue, then put some soap on the outside, it will come off easily and help was the inside of the slop sink when your done.

Back