Cheapest Refrigerator Thermostat Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCoolins

Reaction score
where should i go to get a fridge temp controller, the cheapest Ive found is Midwest Brew Supplies for $55. Any suggestions? Thanks

Would one of those round dimmer switches for lighting work? I know you have to have a little trial and error with a thermometer but once you found the sweet spot you could mark it on the dial so you know where to always turn it. I have a portable refrigerator and all the stuff to follow that guide without spending money. Just curious because I'm assuming all your changing is the voltage levels to the appliance.

Would one of those round dimmer switches for lighting work? I know you have to have a little trial and error with a thermometer but once you found the sweet spot you could mark it on the dial so you know where to always turn it. I have a portable refrigerator and all the stuff to follow that guide without spending money. Just curious because I'm assuming all your changing is the voltage levels to the appliance.

If it is a peltier-based cooler that plugs into the wall, it might work, but no guarantee here. Otherwise, it will not and you could end up destroying the compressor. These thermostats do not vary the voltage, rather they turn the appliance on and off. A dimmer switch also does not vary the voltage, rather it turns the power off and on 60 or 120 times per second.

If it is a peltier-based cooler that plugs into the wall, it might work, but no guarantee here. Otherwise, it will not and you could end up destroying the compressor. These thermostats do not vary the voltage, rather they turn the appliance on and off. A dimmer switch also does not vary the voltage, rather it turns the power off and on 60 or 120 times per second.

+1 Right! Don't try using a dimmer switch. It will overheat the motor and cause it to fail Spring for the Johnson analog controller. They are not that expensive and last a very long time. I have four of them in use at the moment and one A419 digital. I realy like the A419 digital. It's worth the extra $20 or so if you can afford it.

Well thanks for the replies guys. I was just trying to be cheap lol. I will end up getting one of these someday so i dont have to monitor the fermentor all the time.

I just got mine from Brewmaster's Warehouse for $55.

Should be finishing my fermentation chiller tonight.

:rockin:

No. Wrong. The Johnson regulators cycle the appliance compressor on/off. Do NOT try using a dimmer.

The johnson controllers work perfectly, and can be had on ebay (unwired) for ~$25 or prewired from online brew supply shops for ~$50.

Back