What to do with hot peppers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
The two things that grew best in my garden this year and last were hops and peppers. I figured out what to do with the hops, but the peppers im a bit stuck on. This year it was habanero and cayenne. I dried a bunch and made pepper flakes, and i'm planning on pickling some. I only planted one of each so not enough to make hot sauce, -but next year i'm expanding the garden. So is there anything else you guys do with your hot peppers? Recipes are very welcome and any type of pepper would work. Thanks for any input.

I don't know the exact recipe, but you could make candied habaneros. I think the process is pretty much just melting sugar in a pan and rolling the halved habs in it until carmelized, then sprinkle with or toss in course sugar. You should be able to find a recipe pretty easily.

I like some cayenne pepper in desserts as it works really well with chocolate. I had a cayenne dark chocolate ice cream yesterday and it was very good. I enjoy that combo in cupcakes and flan/custard as well.

For the habanero you could do a habanero and pineapple salsa or bbq sauce that I think would go really well with some pork products.

Habenero 7 pineapple salsa would be good mixed with some Philippine sauce with the sesame seeds in it. Trying to remember the name of it.

Peach/pineapple habanero sauce...
Makes about 6 cups or so...
1 large can sliced peaches in juice, not syrup
1 small can pineapple chunks
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic
1 medium white onion, diced
2 jalapenos, cored and seeded
15-18 habaneros, cored and seeded
4TBS sugar
1/4C cider vinegar
1/4-1/2C water

(If you want it face melting hot, keep the seeds... It was fairly stout for me without the seeds... First time the wife made this she kept the seeds and I was doing the poopy dance around the kitchen when I tasted it. funny it was...)

In a large saucepan, (big enough to hold all contents), lightly oil the pan and saute the onions, garlic, habs, and japs till onions are translucent, then add peaches and pineapple (both with juice), along with rest of ingredients. Simmer uncovered for maybe 20 min (VENTILATION OF THE KITCHEN IS KEY!!! Or cook outside). Cool batch enough to safely put in the blender. You can blend it till its perfectly smooth or leave it kinda chunky. We leave it kinda chunky but whatever works. Bottle using whatever method you are comfortable. I normally give it a week before I start using it regularly, but the flavor changes slightly over time.

You could put a few of those peppers into a bottle of olive oil for some flavoured oil, or do the same with a bottle of vinegar; both are great to cook with. If you make pickles (cucumbers or assorted veggies) you could add a pepper to a qt for a little heat. You could also dry them & powder them to make chili powder.
Regards, GF.

You could put a few of those peppers into a bottle of olive oil for some flavoured oil, or do the same with a bottle of vinegar; both are great to cook with. If you make pickles (cucumbers or assorted veggies) you could add a pepper to a qt for a little heat. You could also dry them & powder them to make chili powder.
Regards, GF.

Yes! I have done this!

Beer....duh :D Peppers work well in porters or saisons

I smoked and dried a bunch of peppers a while back - I'm thinking a handful of them are going to land in a smoked porter/stout that I've got planned for the weekend (the porter/stout questions is still undetermined, and likely depends on what grains I have in inventory).

Back