Yeast pitching temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzie14

Reaction score
I followed the instructions on the Mr. Beer kit (using refrigerated water), and when I measured the temp of the wort before pitching, it was 52 degrees. I figured since I had followed the instructions, I should pitch, so I did. Someone had advised me to pitch at 62 degrees, despite the instructions. Is 52 degrees too cold to pitch the yeast? It's been 15 hours since brewing, and the wort is now at 61 degrees. What are the odds that my first batch will come out OK (I know, it's Mr. Beer, so I'm shooting for "OK", vs. "great".)

That temp was a little cool for the yeast but now that its warming up you should see it start in the next 24-48 hrs.

The room where the beer's fermenting will range from 60-66 degrees. Is this OK? It's a Porter brew>

If it starts "FINE" if it seams dormat then you may need to place it where it is a little warmer. Or you may want to wait untill it slows then get it to 69 -70 for a dryer result.
What variety of yeast was it?

When it gets to the mid 60's,swirl it gently to stir some yeast back into suspension. It can take a day or so to get going again.

I don't know what kind of yeast it is. Mr. Beer's yeast doesn't have any descriptive info.

Back