185,000 BTUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will get water hot, but I have heard that model burns though gas faster than other models. You also can't fit a keggle on it.

Wow that seems like a great deal for such high output. I am in the market for a new burner so I might have to snag one.

Lotsa BTUs. I have heard complaints about the noise with jet burners and the fact that it is hard to ramp down the output to maintain a boil or simmer, as well as the amount of gas used, but I hope it works for you. Great deal.

It will burn 8-9 pounds of LP an hour at full bore. Throttled down to where the flame doesn't climb the sides of the kettle. The output will be lower.

VladOfTrub said:
It will burn 8-9 pounds of LP an hour at full bore. Throttled down to where the flame doesn't climb the sides of the kettle. The output will be lower.

Propane has around 91,500 btu's per gallon. So 2 gallons an hour at 180000 BTU. At 4.2 pounds per gallon (60 degrees F) your right on. Overkill for anything smaller than 25 gallons.

I just bought that same burner from amazon and a 40qt aluminum kettle for ~$40 in the same purchase. I have done 3 all grain batches with it from a 20lb tank, heating mash and sparge water with it. Never open the "throttle" on it more than about 1 turn. It can be loud for sure but for $37 you can't beat it. I find that its better to not use the flame spreader that's on it. Maintains a good boil if you open the valve just until it starts to sound like a jet, a low woosh sound. Almost boiled over my 1.070 Irish stout. Don't stray to far before the hot break. Find a place near by to refill your tanks so you don't over pay for a 2/3 full blue rhino or the like. Uhaul is decent usually.

After I ordered I was concerned my keggle wouldn't fit on it but unit doesn't I know my HLT will. I bought it mainly for the price in mind and the option to maybe trade it for something with a little less BTU's if need be

Also I don't think it would be too hard to modify it for a keggle. After spending my entire Saturday brewing two different batches both with 90 mon boils I don't mind burning a little more gas as long as it saves me time

Damn I hate the iPhone spelling.

I get mine filled the same place I get my co2 filled. I discovered a few years ago thy for the price of one exchange tank of propane I could get two tanks filled.

Hmmm...I use a 400,000 BTU NG burner with my 20g kettle (10g batches). Doesn't take long to boil...
I bet your right!
The burner on my 60 gallon steam boil kettle is only 200K BTU and I can get 50 gallons from mash to boil in less than 15 min.:mug: I would be worried about scorching direct firing at 400K BTU that’s an insane amount of heat for a 10 gallon brew. Would make a powerful HLT but I assume you throttle it back for boiling. My 15 gallon keggle system uses the BG-14’s tweaked to 90K BTU and I had to back them back down to the 70K BTU because the boil was to vigorous.

I have a Bayou SQ14 @ 55k BTU and love it. From the gas sounds when I boil, I estimate I get up to boil using 45k BTU and boil using 40k BTU. Gave a great roiling boil on a 13.1 gallon pre-boil volume in a keggle. You sure you need 185k BTU?

Was thinking about getting a larger outdoor burner, but not for beer: for a wok!

I just looked it up and that's one bad boy. I would love to get it but I don't want to have to use that much gas. Does I come with a regulator? I didn't see one with it.

I bet your right!
The burner on my 60 gallon steam boil kettle is only 200K BTU and I can get 50 gallons from mash to boil in less than 15 min.:mug: I would be worried about scorching direct firing at 400K BTU that’s an insane amount of heat for a 10 gallon brew. Would make a powerful HLT but I assume you throttle it back for boiling. My 15 gallon keggle system uses the BG-14’s tweaked to 90K BTU and I had to back them back down to the 70K BTU because the boil was to vigorous.

Yeah we watch the throttle pretty carefully and for a typical boil it's just idling along. No scorching issues so far. We'll move up to a bigger kettle for one-barrel batches hopefully before long and take advantage of the extra power.

I have that same burner. The frame is all steel so if you need to modify it to fit other things you can do so easily. Be careful not to make it too top heavy if you do go welding and bolting things on though. I also use this thing to fry turkeys so the extra BTU's are nice when heating 3 gallons of oil to 375*F.

454k30 said:
I have that same burner. The frame is all steel so if you need to modify it to fit other things you can do so easily. Be careful not to make it too top heavy if you do go welding and bolting things on though. I also use this thing to fry turkeys so the extra BTU's are nice when heating 3 gallons of oil to 375*F.

Awesome. Looks like everything I need will be here by Friday. Can't wait to use it

454k30 said:

I want to ask why you would want to modify the stand? What would you add? Maybe some pics would help me see it better.

I want to ask why you would want to modify the stand? What would you add? Maybe some pics would help me see it better.

I don't have this same stand, but I modified mine with some pieces of steel with two 90 degree bends in them for added stability. My stand was not designed for a pot as big as mine.

Not the best picture, but it illustrates what I did to mine.

NmSA0s2.jpg

Fordzilla said:
I don't have this same stand, but I modified mine with some pieces of steel with two 90 degree bends in them for added stability. My stand was not designed for a pot as big as mine.

Not the best picture, but it illustrates what I did to mine.

Oh well that's pretty nice.

"The burner on my 60 gallon steam boil kettle is only 200K BTU and I can get 50 gallons from mash to boil in less than 15 min."

On planet earth at sea level. It takes 960 BTU/Hr per pound to take water from 212 deg F to 212 deg F boiling (change of state). 50 gall. weighs around 415 pounds. To bring that weight of water to a boil in one hour would take almost 400K BTU. The ducks don't line up for 15 minutes. I didn't figure in the BTU/Hr for the TD from mash temp to 212 F. That number would be, BTU/Hr = weight X TD. It takes a 50 HP boiler to boil 50 G of wort in a steam kettle in 15 minutes. Regardless, of whether the kettle is direct fired or remote. A 200 K steam boiler is about 6 HP. You need not verify my numbers on how much LP will be burned with a burner rated at 185K, or convert them to gallons, or tell me that I was close. But, thank you anyway. I used pounds because a home brewer knows that a tank is 20 pounds and really has no reason to know the volume. A pound of LP depending on purity is 21K-25K BTU/Hr pound.

We had a larger than normal pot on this thing once (20 Gal), for a crab boil. The pot was hard to keep balanced once it was filled with all of the sea's bounty. A little time with an arc welder and some angle iron resulted in a much more stable, and safer, burner/boiler setup. I don't have any pics on hand, sorry. I was mostly remarking about how you can adapt these things to work with any brew/boil/fryer setup with a little work.

VladOfTrub said:
"The burner on my 60 gallon steam boil kettle is only 200K BTU and I can get 50 gallons from mash to boil in less than 15 min."

On planet earth at sea level. It takes 960 BTU/Hr per pound to take water from 212 deg F to 212 deg F boiling (change of state). 50 gall. weighs around 415 pounds. To bring that weight of water to a boil in one hour would take almost 400K BTU. The ducks don't line up for 15 minutes. I didn't figure in the BTU/Hr for the TD from mash temp to 212 F. That number would be, BTU/Hr = weight X TD. It takes a 50 HP boiler to boil 50 G of wort in a steam kettle in 15 minutes. Regardless, of whether the kettle is direct fired or remote. A 200 K steam boiler is about 6 HP. You need not verify my numbers on how much LP will be burned with a burner rated at 185K, or convert them to gallons, or tell me that I was close. But, thank you anyway. I used pounds because a home brewer knows that a tank is 20 pounds and really has no reason to know the volume. A pound of LP depending on purity is 21K-25K BTU/Hr pound.

I was only converting so people could consider cost of operating. In the US we generally purchase propane by the "gallon" not the pound and I thought it would be helpful for some to have it converted to gallons. The thread is about purchasing a 185k btu burner and the cost to operate it may be useful to the potential purchaser. With all due respect your reasoning above is inconsistent, lacking important variables and not applied properly. But thank you anyway.

I have the SP1. A great value. Sure, it uses a lot of propane at full throttle and roars a bit, but the only time I use anywhere near full throttle is for the first 10 minutes for strike water, then another 10 minutes to reach boil (14 gallons for my last BIAB batch). Once you are at boil, you can crank it right down to a comparative "whisper". I don't really see all the fuss about other expensive burners, I doubt if the water knows the difference.

I don't see the fuss about using more gas. Stepping up to 10 gallon batches will use more gas no matter what. I would imagine going slow or going fast it will all take the same amount of gas to get to a boil. Using this burner will save time. I guess it all just comes down to how often a person buys gas and wether or not thy understand it is a necessity to brewing with a burner. My time to me is worth alot on the weekends. The faster I brew the more time I have with my kids

OK I am missing something here I guess. Looks to me like it is a weed burner turned upright. Any reason a guy could not put a 20 psi regulator or even get rid of the regulator on a banjo burner and have it work about the same.

Reason I ask is because my weed burner does not have any jets or regulator

OK I am missing something here I guess. Looks to me like it is a weed burner turned upright. Any reason a guy could not put a 20 psi regulator or even get rid of the regulator on a banjo burner and have it work about the same.

Reason I ask is because my weed burner does not have any jets or regulator

You are not far off... It has a little swivel plate tat you can spread out the flame, but I don't use that ever. I suspect the regulator is of a higher pressure as compared say to the type on a grill for example. I am likely wrong here...

The bayou classic sq14 is only $44 on amazon prime, it's well suited to homebrew, will hold a keggle, and it maintains a perfect boil on low in my blichmann 10gal. Way more efficient than that jet burner IMO. :)

Just played with mine. Wow is it badass! My keggle fits on it perfectly. Does LOOK a little flimsy but I think it will do. I will probably brew on it next weekend

image-3210443515.jpg

image-11402883.jpg

image-2234275443.jpg

I have a Bayou SQ14 @ 55k BTU and love it. From the gas sounds when I boil, I estimate I get up to boil using 45k BTU and boil using 40k BTU. Gave a great roiling boil on a 13.1 gallon pre-boil volume in a keggle. You sure you need 185k BTU?

Was thinking about getting a larger outdoor burner, but not for beer: for a wok!

I second this. I have several burners, and this one is by far my favorite. It's always consistent, never scorches, and I've never had a boil over. When the regulator on this broke (I left it outside all winter like an idiot) I went and got a banjo burner. Damn that thing is hard to control. I am constantly fiddling with the regulator, and it always seems I'm either not boiling or boiling so much I undershoot my final volume.

I should say I mostly do 5gal batches, the banjo burner would probably be great for 10gal batches.

Brewed three batches this weekend. Considering I have been using my stove, this was a HUGE improvement. Got up to my mash temp quickly and held a consistent boil. Had no trouble holding my five gallon pot. My only concern was that the paint is clearly not flameproof and burnt off in most places within a few minutes. Also should note, used a 20 lb. cylinder (filled to 15 lbs.) and I did one 5-gallon and two 1-gallon batches this weekend with gas to spare.

I should hope you had gas left over. I can usually get at least four 5-gallon batches out of a 20# tank filled to the top.

Indeed, 15# is about 325k BTUs worth of heat. Your burner could cut through that in 2 hrs, 5 min. My 55k will take a little longer at 5 hrs, 55 min on full blast.

I estimate I do my roiling 10 gallon batches (13 gal boil volume) at 40-45k BTU. That's usually about 4 extract batches from cold tap or 5 all-grain batches from mash temp for me.

It might sound silly, but you know that you can freeze your tank over with a huge draw on that small of a tank, right? Check out this chart.

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html

Note that they modeled it on a 100# tank, but the trend is clear: the emptier your tank is, the higher your draw is, and the colder it is outside, the more likely you are to freeze your tank.

I can't imagine you're using even a large portion of the available 155k to maintain the boil. :)

I have done 4 batches on that burner now. Still have fuel for another at least. I can't imagine ever having to run it at full bore for any reason. It maintains a boil on a 5 gallon batch with the valve opened just enough to get a blue flame.

Just played with mine. Wow is it badass! My keggle fits on it perfectly. Does LOOK a little flimsy but I think it will do. I will probably brew on it next weekend

Make sure you crank it up for a few minutes outside your garage. Most of the paint will burn off and flake. The smell is not too pleasant, but goes away quick enough

I have done 4 batches on that burner now. Still have fuel for another at least. I can't imagine ever having to run it at full bore for any reason. It maintains a boil on a 5 gallon batch with the valve opened just enough to get a blue flame.

+1 this.

I never understood the "it uses more fuel/inefficient" argument against this product. It is 185k max at full throttle, and I only go there to hit strike and to hit boil. The rest of the time it is whispering away at some lower setting, nowhere near 185k. I have done 2x10 gallon batches and a 5 gallon batch (90 minute boil) and I suspect there is enough to do at least another in there.

Back