Whats an acceptable Mash Tun Deadspace amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
I just made a copper manifold and tested the deadspace (filled with water, level with a hose coming out of the mlt) and it came out to a tiny bit above 1.5 quarts. Maybe its just bc I'm used to using a false bottom (and never tested the dead space with false bottom) but is that a lot? Is that an acceptable amount for a 10 gallon cooler?

TIA

I can't say what is acceptable, but my new 10gal Rubbermade DIY mashtun hits about the same, braid and no false bottom.

Measured dead space at around 0.38 gal / 1.52 quarts.

That's better than my 5-gallon cooler with round braid at 1.3-ish quarts as a ratio to total volume vs. deadspace.

I think I got around 72 oz on my 10 gallon Commercial igloo with false bottom. I assume this needs to be addressed in the sparge, but not necessary for mashing since the sparge will wash it out.

Basically with the dead space, you don't change anything with the mash volume of water (1.25 qt/lb of grain), just add extra for the sparge?

I think I got around 72 oz on my 10 gallon Commercial igloo with false bottom. I assume this needs to be addressed in the sparge, but not necessary for mashing since the sparge will wash it out.

Basically with the dead space, you don't change anything with the mash volume of water (1.25 qt/lb of grain), just add extra for the sparge?

That would be my understanding...

Once there is grain inside, you'll get a wicking effect with the manifold. The grain also displaces volume, so the dead space should be lower in practice than when measuring with water only.

Wow, my cooler has about 3 quart deadspace, with a SS braid.
I think it does not matter though, you just add that water like you guys said. In the end, it gets figured into your total brewhouse efficiecny, but it's probably not a huge drop. Just need a little more grain.

Back