Sausage casing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I made a 25# batch of Venison Bratwurst. I used natural Whole Hog casings. I found that after soaking them in warm water for the recommended time, they were very easy to work with. Also I liked the fact that I could just twist the sausage into the desired length & cut it off at the twist & it would somewhat retain the shape without having to tie it off.
The thing that I did not like was the fact that I could not bite thru the casing, even after boiling the brats in beer. I am considering using collagen casings this time. Would this be a good idea or did do something wrong with the Natural casings the first time?

I buy natural casings from a local meat market and I've never had a problem. They're a little tough, but I like prefer it that way. I've never tried collagen though.

i just did my first batch of italian sausage with natural casings from the local butcher and they didn't seem tough to me.

I've only ever used Hog casings for both fresh and smoked sausage, never had a problem with toughness. Maybe the ones you got were really old...?

Sorry, can't help with the collagen casings either.

Back