Crushed Grain - How long can you store it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinokath

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious. I order two or three batches at a time and usually takes me a couple weeks to a month and a half or so to get it all brewed up. I do that to save on shipping. The bags arrive sealed and they go into an interior wall closet in the dark until they are ready to be used.

I haven't noticed any problems and no one who drinks my beer has said it tastes bad, in fact I have had lots of positive comments. Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Dean

I haven't noticed any problems and no one who drinks my beer has said it tastes good.
Dean

Is this what you really mean? Nobody likes your beer, if so you have a partial answer.

otherwise if everyone likes your beer then keep at it.

seriously if properly wrapped I don't think a month or so is going to be an issue. But taste & smell the grains before using to see if they are good.

Duh, yeah, sorry. Edited!

Taste and smell, never really thought of that. Good suggestion. I never tasted them before I brewed. Tasted them afterwards, but never before. It usually smells like cattle feed and the smell is consistent. Never a rancid or rotten smell, which yeah, should be a dead giveaway!

I was wondering if there was more of an issue with the protiens or mash efficiency. I do single infusion mashing and batch sparge and usually get around 80% or so efficiency, if I am punching the numbers into the calculators right.

The reason I am asking is because I am getting ready to make another order and have four batches in the cart but do not plan on brewing (or have time to brew) the last batch until at least mid February and I do not have a mill (obviously!) but need some parts for the kegging system. Free shipping is a hell of a motivator!

Thanks all!

I regularly use crushed grains 2 months after they were crushed, (I don't have a mill). As long as they are stored cool, dry, & air tight you will be fine.

Does anyone crush grains at home? If so, what do you use? I assume a cofee type bur grinder would work; however, it may grind too fine.

The local homebrew guy said a rolling pin.

You could order un-crushed grains. Take them with you to the LHS when you get ready to brew. You probably need something else before you brew anyway. If you are spending money with them I'd bet they will mill them for you. The grains will stay fresh longer that way.

Or buy a mill of your own. There are several to choose from.

Back