using chlorine buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
Ok so before you say no here are the facts. These are #2 buckets, they have good tight fitting lids. I filled them with clean water and let them sit in the sun for one day. I did a ph strip and chlorine test on the water that was in the buckets and found 0 chlorine and a ph of around 7 so looks like they are going to be ok. I left clean water in them in the sun for another 2 days hoping to use at least one of them wednesday. Do you think they will be OK? I would like to use them for a primary right now I am using plastic carboys for primary & not switching to secondary. I like the idea of a bucket for a primary cause the cleaning is easier. Also having the buckets would really increase the capacity I can brew. We are going to host a large party in the end of May and I am looking to brew all the beer for the party between now and then this increase in capacity would really help me. So give me your pro's & con's and any other things I can look into to see if they would be OK>

Well at least you know their sanitized. :D

They're fine.

Now pickle buckets...those you need to watch out for.

please explain - local firehouse subs said I could have 6-gal buckets that stored pickles for free, they are #2 but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet. Does pickle get into the plastic??

The only way to get the pickle smell out of a pickle bucket is to use it as a bait bucket fishing.

If you know of a way to get the fish smell out of a pickle bucket, let me know. ;)

please explain - local firehouse subs said I could have 6-gal buckets that stored pickles for free, they are #2 but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet. Does pickle get into the plastic??

Pickles are like root beer. Once that odor embeds itself in the plastic, it ain't going anywhere. Maybe a good 5 day soak in oxyclean might take care of it.

Pick them up. Use them for storage...but before you go fermenting beer, make sure you can rid any odors.

I am sooo happy to have good input on using these buckets. I have 3 new buckets that appear to be 6 gal and two that appear to be 10 gallon. I have not measured yet but I know they are all larger than 5 gallon so my brewery just doubled in size. I also took possesion of my new 10 gallon brew pot today so with my old brew pot as a sparge heater I have a much bigger capacity. I am going all grain as soon as I use up my last 3 extract recipes I have on hand. I need to make a load of beer before the end of May. Now to get HWMBC to finish my new propane connection and I will be brewing.

Before I switched to using a sanke keg for fermenting, I used a 11 gallon shock/sanitizer bucket,and never had any trouble.

Janet,

When you "passivate" your new brew pot by boiling water in it to establish the oxide layer, transfer the hot water to your buckets. Chlorine, if any left at all, becomes unstabe and deteriorates rapidly with heat.

Finaly got my buckets in and measured them. I have three 6.5 gallon and two 10.5 gallon buckets with good tight lids. All the smell is gone, I am happy & already have one in use.

Good job Janet, I've seen those big 10.5's and have eyed them up as potential fermenters.

Oh and BTW, Royal Palm should be giving you a cut for all the business you steered their way. I'm diggin my new pot but have yet to cristen it. Thanks again for the tip.

Did you ever end up using these as fermenters? I have access to what I think is the same thing but they smell very chlorine like. They were used for chlorine crystals for water treatment. I am worried about getting the smell out. Did you do anything besides fill them up for water for a few days?

I currently use a 12.2 gal pool chlorine (hth) bucket as a primary and 2 home depot (homer) buckets as secondaries I make 9 gal batches and I have had no problems. Just take care cleaning them don't scratch.

was it tough to get the chlorine smell out? Did you let it sit for a while with something (oxyclean, baking soda, pbw???)?

I am also interested in this. I have a half full bucket of chlorine tabs for the pool sitting in the shed. I might just move all the tabs into another smaller bucket and try to soak the chlorine bucket with oxyclean/hot water for a few days...

I've been wondering about this. I have two 12-1/2 gal HTH chlorine buckets that I've thought of using as fermenters. The problem is, how do you move a bucket with 10 gallons of wort in it down a flight of stairs?

I've been wondering about this. I have two 12-1/2 gal HTH chlorine buckets that I've thought of using as fermenters. The problem is, how do you move a bucket with 10 gallons of wort in it down a flight of stairs?

One step at a time?? But seriously I guess you could put it in two 5 gallon buckets if your not able to carry the 80+ lbs (sissy) all at once. JK with ya on the sissy part. I'd be trying to find a way to ferment near the area I brew!

One step at a time?? But seriously I guess you could put it in two 5 gallon buckets if your not able to carry the 80+ lbs (sissy) all at once. JK with ya on the sissy part. I'd be trying to find a way to ferment near the area I brew!

I brew in the garage and ferment in the basement. The garage is way too cold this time of year. I guess I could use a dolly. Now I carry 2 carboys in milk crates down there.

And yes, I am a sissy, and proud of it.

Back