Bottle cleaning help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akillys

Reaction score
I soaked my bottles in oxiclean and now they look like they have been frosted or something. I can't seem to get the film off. Are my bottles ruined?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd soak them again in the oxyclean. Then rinse/submerge in fresh water before leaving them to dry.

I have a bottle washer adapter that goes on the faucet. Once I drain the Oxy, I blast it with then bottle washer. Then I rinse the outside in water and leave it to dry.

I soaked my bottles in oxiclean and now they look like they have been frosted or something. I can't seem to get the film off. Are my bottles ruined?

Your bottles are fine.

You just need a lightly acidic wash to get the frosting off - fill up a bucket with water and add a dash (or two) of white vinegar. A quick soak will clear the frosting, and if you just do a quick water dunk afterward you'll have spot-free bottles once dry.

I usually soak mine in Oxy to delabel for a week (adding bottles over the week), then into vinegar for a day, then a quick water bath and then stored upside down to dry in a milk crate.

Cool Thanks for all the help. I do not have a way to dry bottles upside down. Will drying them right side up effect them in any way?

Cool Thanks for all the help. I do not have a way to dry bottles upside down. Will drying them right side up effect them in any way?

Do you have a dishwasher? If so, you can dry them by putting them on the prongs that hold stuff up. I think you should dry them upside down because it will expedite the drying and will lessen hard water deposits and marks.

Just remember that oxiclean is easier to dissolve and clean off with hot water.

Starsan can get that film off too. If you have a dish drying rack,that'll work as well. Time to get a bottle tree & vinator!:mug:

Starsan can get that film off too. If you have a dish drying rack,that'll work as well. Time to get a bottle tree & vinator!:mug:

+1 to tree and vinator. I still need to get a vinator to make my life easier. Question for you unionrdr: does a vinator fit on top of a 45 bottle tree? Some sites say it only fits the 90.

Yes it does. I have the 45 bottle tree from Ferrari & the Ferrari vinator as well. The vinator comes with the adapter to slide it on top of the tree. I just made sure I got the tree from Ferrari as well. with their super agata bench capper,I now own 3 Ferrari's! :D

You can purchase addon (arms?) for the vinerator tree and make it taller but I think most are sold as 45.

Wow! Really?! I have the 45,seen 90's. But extra sections? I'd love one more section for my 45 bottle tree. Another 9 peg section would give room for 2 cases worth plus 6 more pegs for those extra bottles we sometimes get from a batch all at once! got a link for the extra sections? :mug:

I have never seen this before and use oxyclean all the time. Just curious how much did you use?

I usually soak for several days to a week+ to get some stubborn labels off. A good blast with the bottle washer attachment and an outer rinse and mine are crystal errr....Amber clear.

My tree comes apart in (rings), each ring has approximately 8-10 pegs (i don't have it in front of me)..it has about 6 rings...i take it apart regularly to store it and i often just leave the base out with a single ring when having people over. I have no idea if the rings are actually sold separately though.

I use a jet bottle washer as well, those rock. I rinse my bottles, soak them in oxy clean for a few hours or longer, rinse the outside and inside a little. Then take them all, and run them on the jet bottle washer for about 5 - 10 seconds each with hot water.

Also, I use fast racks now, not trees. If you have never seen them before, check them out, I love them.

http://thefastrack.ca/main/homebrewer

Do you have a dishwasher? If so, you can dry them by putting them on the prongs that hold stuff up. I think you should dry them upside down because it will expedite the drying and will lessen hard water deposits and marks.

Just remember that oxiclean is easier to dissolve and clean off with hot water.

Unfortunately I do not, and with my wife being pregnant that leaves me to cleaning all the dishes. It blows, but getting the dishes cleared out of the sink so that I can brew is well worth it :D.

I have never seen this before and use oxyclean all the time. Just curious how much did you use?

I used five scoops for 10 gallons of water. That's actually under the recommended amount on the package, it calls for one scoop for every gallon.

Unfortunately I do not, and with my wife being pregnant that leaves me to cleaning all the dishes. It blows, but getting the dishes cleared out of the sink so that I can brew is well worth it :D.

I used five scoops for 10 gallons of water. That's actually under the recommended amount on the package, it calls for one scoop for every gallon.

I only use about a 1/2 scoop in my kitchen sink. 5 scoops is way overkill just to clean these. Even when I clean my 6 gallon buckets, I use less than a scoop.

People sure go through a lot of problems with their bottles!

I soak my newly collected bottles in warm water and 1 cup of Arm & Hammer baking soda overnight and the labels float off by themselves. If I am in a hurry, it's only about an hour before you can peel them off manually with no problem at all. Some slide right off as you pick them up.

Then, to sanitize on bottling day, I fill my slop-sink in the basement with 5-6 gallons of cold water and a couple cap-fulls of iodopher. I soak the bottles for 15 minutes. I use a jet-rinse attachment on the faucet to give them a quick half-second blast and I'm done. I've never had an infection.

People sure go through a lot of problems with their bottles!

I soak my newly collected bottles in warm water and 1 cup of Arm & Hammer baking soda overnight and the labels float off by themselves. If I am in a hurry, it's only about an hour before you can peel them off manually with no problem at all. Some slide right off as you pick them up.

Then, to sanitize on bottling day, I fill my slop-sink in the basement with 5-6 gallons of cold water and a couple cap-fulls of iodopher. I soak the bottles for 15 minutes. I use a jet-rinse attachment on the faucet to give them a quick half-second blast and I'm done. I've never had an infection.

No need to jet rinse after iodopher as long as you dilute it to the right amount, just put them upside down for a minute, to drain as much as they can.

ummmm did you 5 scoops for 10 gallons?...I use 1.5 scoops for 20 gallons, then soak overnight...a quick brush with my bottle brush, rinse with the jet bottle rinser then spray a bit of starsan in each bottle...then they go into my dishwasher (no soap)...for the extended wash sanitize cycle...probobely a bit of overkill...my bottles have been used a few times...and they are pretty clean when i start this

No need to jet rinse after iodopher as long as you dilute it to the right amount, just put them upside down for a minute, to drain as much as they can.

True, but the quick little rinse is just in case there was something floating around in the water that got into the bottle. It's not really necessary.

Back