Hydrometer reading after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderbyte

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a hydrometer reading after the beer has been bottled? Before I bottled, I swear it read 1.003. This seamed like a small number but since Im trying the 1-2-3 method for my first brew I only checked the hydrometer for future reference. My brew is an Imperial light kit. Its only been bottled for a week, and I tried one last night. It wasnt bad, but I think sitting for another couple weeks will mellow it out a bit. I will try another in about a week to see how its changed.

Anyway, I ask about taking another reading because Im not sure it has very much alcohol in it.

thunderbyte said:
Is it possible to get a hydrometer reading after the beer has been bottled? Before I bottled, I swear it read 1.003. This seamed like a small number but since Im trying the 1-2-3 method for my first brew I only checked the hydrometer for future reference. My brew is an Imperial light kit. Its only been bottled for a week, and I tried one last night. It wasnt bad, but I think sitting for another couple weeks will mellow it out a bit. I will try another in about a week to see how its changed.

Anyway, I ask about taking another reading because Im not sure it has very much alcohol in it.
Sure, pour a sample it to your test tube and allow it to warm up to room temp. Make sure you spin the hydrometer to free any bubbles clinging to the hydrometer.
Your reading should match the reading from pre-bottling. Your bottling sugar would have added about 0.002 to the gravity, but that will ferment out to produce the carbonation.
1.003 sounds too low for most beer styles. It usually requires a high percentage of simple sugar or some kind of bacteria infection (some sour beers) to dry a beer that low. Probably was a mis reading.
Craig

Thanks for the reply. I will take a bottle and get a reading tonight to see what I get. I will post my results here.

Thanks again,
Len

P.S. Go Steelers!

Back