What kind of blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
What kind of blow off tube would you use with this airlock?

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 7.53.55 AM.jpg

I am going to brew an Octane IPA and ferment in a bucket or 5gal carboy. I'm wondering if the fermentation will be vigorous since it's a high gravity beer. Thanks!

Not sure you can use a blowoff tube WITH that airlock. It looks like the path will be too tortuous and the little bulbs will clog. Not sure.

Just get a tube that fits the hold in your bucket lid.

I had one of those left over from my Cooper's micro brew fermenter. I went to 3 piece airlocks after that. So I cut the straight section off with a dremel. Then trimmed the cut end & stuck a 3/8" tube on it. Long enough to curve out the lid of the FV,then into a 1/2 gallon plastic vodka jug 1.3 full of water & a splash of starsan.

Skip the airlock and get a tube that fits directly into your fermenter.
When you place the other end of the blow off tube into your bucket of water you create a large airlock.

True,but using that cut off stem allowed me to go up from 1/4" diameter tubing to 3/8". Gives alittle more ability to blow off all the gas & krausen before the lid goes pop. Had that happen once anyway.

I use a rubber stopper and a 1/4" hose in a bucket of water. I also use duct tape to secure the stopper to the carboy... since it doesnt touch the beer there are no sanitation concerns...

Duct tape... need I say more?

-Cheers

True,but using that cut off stem allowed me to go up from 1/4" diameter tubing to 3/8". Gives alittle more ability to blow off all the gas & krausen before the lid goes pop. Had that happen once anyway.

You use buckets, I use carboys. I just jam a 1" hose directly into the carboy. Lots of room for blow off material. If your able to use a larger diameter hose by attaching it to your 3 pc. that makes sense and is what I would likely do also. :mug:

I wish. 1/2" ID tubing is needed to fit the center tube on a 3 piece airlock,& no one local had any. Must be a popular size?! So I made the rig I described earlier. 1/2" ID on the center piece would be a tad better I imagine. At least for those of us using plastic FV's with grommets. Then 3/8 or 1/2 inch seems to work just fine.

The OG should be 1.067. Would you use a blowoff or will I be fine using a bucket?

You can use a blow off rig with any kind of fermenter. I like the buckets myself. Easier to clean & work with in regard to hop sacks,fruit,etc.

I wish. 1/2" ID tubing is needed to fit the center tube on a 3 piece airlock,& no one local had any. Must be a popular size?! So I made the rig I described earlier. 1/2" ID on the center piece would be a tad better I imagine. At least for those of us using plastic FV's with grommets. Then 3/8 or 1/2 inch seems to work just fine.

3 piece airlock and 1/2" tube was recommended by my LHBS. I went ahead and purchased the airlock and 4 ft of tube to fit inside the airlock. This should work well on my carboy I hope.

Packer, if you have the room there you should try and get you bucket lower than or equal to the lvl of your fermenter. That will greatly reduce the chance of suck back. OT... good luck with the Vikes!

BansheeRider said:
The OG should be 1.067. Would you use a blowoff or will I be fine using a bucket?

I just fermented a 1.108 OG stout. Krausen never touched the blowoff (which I used just in case). I also poured the cooled wort onto a yeast cake from a previous brew, which should make fermentation more vigorous. I did make sure to keep the temp at the very bottom of the ideal range.

I guess what I am saying is that OG doesn't determine the need for a blowoff tube. I would use one just in case.

I just fermented a 1.108 OG stout. Krausen never touched the blowoff (which I used just in case). I also poured the cooled wort onto a yeast cake from a previous brew, which should make fermentation more vigorous. I did make sure to keep the temp at the very bottom of the ideal range.

I guess what I am saying is that OG doesn't determine the need for a blowoff tube. I would use one just in case.

Cool thanks for the tip. I want to use my 5 gal carboy as a primary for this IPA I will be brewing, then just throw the wood chips in the carboy with the beer. I will rig a blow off tube for a few days and if fermentation is not that crazy then I will just use an airlock.

Back