American IPA Zeus' Nuggets IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1028 London Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 at 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
none yet
This is my first all-grain IPA.

Here's the grain bill:

12lbs. 2-row
1 lb. crystal 40
1 lb. flaked maize
1 lb. Munich
8 grams gypsum

Mashed in with 4.75 gallons to reach temp of 150 degrees.

Held mashed for 75 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes or so.

After 75 minutes temp was 147.8.

I added 1 gallon of 168 degree water, stirred, vorlauf, then drained 4.2 gallons of first runnings. Added 3.8 gallons of 168 degree water, then drained another 3.5 gallons, for a total of 7.7 gallons of sweet wort with a pre-boil gravity of 1.057.

Brought to boil and...

Here are my hop and boil additions:

.25 oz. Nugget 14.1% 60 minutes
.25 oz. Zeus 16.4% 60 minutes
.25 oz. Nugget 14.1% 45 minutes
.25 oz. Zeus 16.4% 45 minutes
.25 oz. Nugget 14.1 % 30 minutes
.25 oz. Zeus 16.4 % 20 minutes
.25 oz. Nugget 14.1% 15 minutes
.25 oz. Zeus 16.4% 10 minutes
.5 tsp. Irish moss 10 minutes
.25 oz. Nugget 14.1% 5 minutes
.5 oz. Nugget Steep 5 minutes
.5 oz. Zeus Steep 5 minutes
1.25 oz. Nugget Dry hop 7 days
.5 oz. Zeus Dry hop 7 days

Just brewed this one two days ago. I cooled to wort to 65 degrees and pitched the yeast from a 3 liter starter of 1028. It started bubbling less than four hours later and has been steady bubbling away since. I hope it turns out great. IPA's are probably my favorite beer, and I already have two more planned. This is my third all-grain batch, and I haven't even tasted one of my all-grain beers yet. My first two are an ESB and a Mocha Oatmeal Stout that I bottled a little over a week ago. I hope they all taste great.

Please please please let me know how this turns out. I Nugget and Zues hop plants that will be in their second year. This would be an interesting one to do!

I realize after posting this recipe I put it in the wrong section. Anyway, I'd just like to say that this is the best tasting beer I have made to date. I really like the hop flavor and aroma. It is very different to me as I have not had many if any beers made with Zeus and/or Nugget hops. It has a very unique hop flavor and aroma that I love probably because it is so different than the usual Cascade or Centennial hop flavor that I have become accustomed to in so many great brews. The hops are very nice, but you still get a nice malt finish. All around, definitely the best beer I have brewed to date. This makes me want to get some more Nugget and Zeus hops to experiment with.

Question for you. When adding the hops are you starting from 60 minutes and adding hops every 15 min then 10 min and so on until you have five minutes left? And also when adding the dry hops are you putting them in a couple of days after you ferment and let it sit for seven days or do you put them in on the seventh day. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

For the hops the timing left in the boil is listed after the hop amounts. There are some steeping/flame out hop that are added at after the boil is over. The dry hops are not added until fermentation is finished, roughly 2 weeks in this case. You can add them straight to primary or place them in secondary and rack on top of them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

How did this taste? Is it worth attempting??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back