mead getting more cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
My melon mead, on Friday, was nice and clear after using kwik clear on it, with a small amount of sedimentat the bottom. I was away over the weekend and expected it to have dropped some more and be ready to bottle. However, while there is a bit more sediment, i now can't even see my hand through it. I haven't added any more honey on this batch. Any thoughts on what might have caused this?

Mead gremlins shaking your fermenter while you're out? :)

Without know the recipe details, gravity numbers and such, it is hard to say for certain. Are you sure the fermentation is complete? Whenever I've had refermentation start, it begins by getting cloudy.

I did wonder if it may have started up again, but it was stabilised before putting some more juice in weeks back and even the frush juice had cleared fully. After I noticed it had clouded up I put it in my brewing fridge (16.5c), not enough to cold crash it but I figured it might help it settle. I've not spotted any airlock activity and it has already been degassed (under a vacuvin).

I think I'd check that gravity to make sure it hasn't restarted. If I had a dollar for every time I saw a "stabilized" batch start again, I'd be able to afford Europe.

It's a fair point, I guess ill either leave it be or get the hydrometer out and see where its at. Cheers guys!

Well I'm confused, I racked it, added some more kwik clear and stuck it in the fridge at 4 degrees c. No change at all. I've had things be stubborn to clear like my cyser, but this was already clear before! My only guess is that the kwik clear has actually had the opposite effect. Has anyone seen this before?

Could always try adding a different fining of opposite charge and hope it clumps out. I think Kwik clear has a negative charge. Then there's always that patience thing...

Kwik clear is one of the two part ones, so should be fine? I was pretty careful about getting the same amount of each in, but I did leave it more than the recommend 30 mins before adding the second part.
I don't mind leaving it a bit longer, but it used to settle after only a few hours so something must have changed!

Back