Bazooka T screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the straight bazooka screens for years, both in the tun and the kettle. They work great. I'd expect the T type to be even better.

cool deal! that's what i wanted to hear. mine's here, i just need the Sanke adaptor. I thought my false bottom spigot would work, but smaller size. waiting for the sanke adapter to come in.

Ireally enjoy my bazooka T screen. Works very well, but doesn't like pellet hops. If you end up using pellets use a hop bag.

I guess it works ok with whole hops then?

I've been thinking of adding a SS hose filter to my kettle drain. Anyone got any experience with that?

It works super with whole hops. Not a problem at all! :)

Sorry I've got no experiences with a braided hose in the kettle. I do however have a braided hose in my Mash Tun. I bought a pre-made kit from Chris1Kenobi in another forum.
http://www.freewebs.com/candcinnovations/productdetails.htm

He also sells a HLT and Kettle kit too.. or DIY of course.

My only complaint with braided hose in the MT is the fact I've never actually gotten my runoffs completely devoid of husks and grain particulates (always small white floaties in my recirculation fluids). It could be I'm too picky, or not doing something right. I think in my last mash I kept disturbing the grainbed, eventually the wort started channeling to where I had vourlafed backin. When the liquid was drained you could tell where I had re-added my circulated mash back in.

Mindflux said:
It works super with whole hops. Not a problem at all! :)

Sorry I've got no experiences with a braided hose in the kettle. I do however have a braided hose in my Mash Tun. I bought a pre-made kit from Chris1Kenobi in another forum.
http://www.freewebs.com/candcinnovations/productdetails.htm

He also sells a HLT and Kettle kit too.. or DIY of course.

My only complaint with braided hose in the MT is the fact I've never actually gotten my runoffs completely devoid of husks and grain particulates (always small white floaties in my recirculation fluids). It could be I'm too picky, or not doing something right. I think in my last mash I kept disturbing the grainbed, eventually the wort started channeling to where I had vourlafed backin. When the liquid was drained you could tell where I had re-added my circulated mash back in.

I've already got a DIY ss hose mesh manifold in my MLT. It works great for me. I'm just wondering if the trub would clog up the mesh in a kettle?

mines for the mash/lauter tun, so it should be okay. i used the SS braid in my Rubbermaidd mash/lauter tun, but it wasa home made, and much smaller than the Bazooka. that puppies big!

ScottT said:
I've been thinking of adding a SS hose filter to my kettle drain. Anyone got any experience with that?

Talk to Dennis (tnlandsailor) about the Hop Stopper .

This thing has completely changed my brewday. Chilling/siphoning almost made me quit this hobby, and since I've had this thing it takes all my stress away.

I don't know what your boil kettle consists of but I'm sure a weldless convrsion could be made up to accept the hop stopper. As far as for my brewing, best money I've spent.

ORRELSE said:
I don't know what your boil kettle consists of but I'm sure a weldless convrsion could be made up to accept the hop stopper. As far as for my brewing, best money I've spent.

I've got a converted pony keg for a kettle. I've got a 1/2 male thread inside my kettle. My only concern with the hop stopper is that it blocks me from the bottom of my kettle. I will still be adding extract occasionaly and want to be able to stir the bottom of the pot.

ORRELSE said:
Talk to Dennis (tnlandsailor) about the Hop Stopper .

This thing has completely changed my brewday. Chilling/siphoning almost made me quit this hobby, and since I've had this thing it takes all my stress away.

Yes, the standard weldless fittings (like Weld-B-Gone) work great with the Hop Stopper. I've retro fitted a couple of kettles with this and the conversion was simple and trouble free.
ScottT said:
I've got a converted pony keg for a kettle. I've got a 1/2 male thread inside my kettle. My only concern with the hop stopper is that it blocks me from the bottom of my kettle. I will still be adding extract occasionaly and want to be able to stir the bottom of the pot.
This should not be a problem. Turn off the burner (or at least turn it down really low) and stir your wort as you are adding the extract, there should be no issue of trapping the extract under the Hop Stopper or scorching. I've had several customers using the Hop Stopper for extract beers with no problems. I'll gladly refund your money if it doesn't work for you.

On a side note, I would use DME and avoid using LME, not because it won't work with the Hop Stopper, but because I think DME is of better quality in general.

tnlandsailor said:
This should not be a problem. Turn off the burner (or at least turn it down really low) and stir your wort as you are adding the extract, there should be no issue of trapping the extract under the Hop Stopper or scorching. I've had several customers using the Hop Stopper for extract beers with no problems. I'll gladly refund your money if it doesn't work for you.

On a side note, I would use DME and avoid using LME, not because it won't work with the Hop Stopper, but because I think DME is of better quality in general.

Thanks so much for the advice and the offer. I will have a go with the ss hose and if it doesn't perform as I need, I'll be giveing you a call.

Back