Best Way to Reduce Sludge From the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
My process is to cool down the wort in the 16 quart stainless steel pot I'm using with an ice bath. Takes a few hours. What is then the best way to pour this into the primary bucket and leave the most sludge behind? A regular stainless steel strainer does not catch enough, particularly when the hops are pelletized. Is there a paper filter I can use mounted in a funnel?

Whirlpool - ie stir the wort very fast, then let it settle for about 10 minutes. This will create a little mountain of trub in the center of the pot. Use a racking cane with tubing to syphon your wort into your fermenter by placing it near the edge of the pot to stay away from the trub. I also add a STAINLESS steel potscrubber (available at most supermarkets in the home cleaning section) to the end of the racking cane to limit pickup of stuff even more.
I don't sweat a little bit of trub in the fermenting wort - especially in a robust ale.

yup, siphon it off. if you need to start a siphon but dont want to goof around, you can use a sanitized turkey baster, or an autosiphon.

I sanitize a paint strainer bag and pour through that into the primary. Than I pull it out, drain the liquid, and toss the trub.

On my first brew, I tried the syphon trick from the pot to the primary, but I kept losing it with bits of stuff. This was a summer ale with rinds floating all around. I like the brute force method of just dumping into the bucket through some kind of sieve. I'll try the paint strainger, would a coffee filter work? Maybe actual fabric like an old t-shirt or a very fine plastic screen material like for re-doing screen windows?

I used to use small muslin bags for my hops. They worked pretty good, but at 59c per hop addition they kind of worked out expensive over a long period. I then tried a false bottom and that didn't work well at all, so I returned it. I recently made one of Lil Sparky's hop blockers (about $15 in parts from Lowes) and intend to try it out for the first time in a couple of weeks.

I dont worry about the sludge because it falls to the bottom of the fermenter anyway and you rack above it when you bottle.

i use a nylon mesh bag from my lhbs. always have, and it works great. never more than 1/2 pint sludge in the bottom of my keg, regardless what i brew

I've seen the paint straining bag recommended on several threads, but I have to believe the sludge I encountered would go through it. Something like felt or a paper coffee filter would really do the job. What if all the sludge just got dumped from the boiling pot to the fermenter and kept there for 2 weeks, is there anything wrong with that?

I don't know how this will work. And I may be citicized for it. But I used a pair of knee high pantyhose over the end of the racking cane hose. New panyhose of course. I boiled them and soaked them in sanitizer. It worked great, IMHO. I got all the hop sludge and crap out. I pitched my yeast and was bubbling away within a few hrs.

Did I screw things up? I dunno. It wouldn't surprise me. But hey, it IS a hobby. So we'll see.

Back