Thoughts on Brewer's Best "Bold Series" American Nut Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
Hello there everyone. Just brewed my first batch ever yesterday and now the yeast are doing there thing. Since this is my first attempt I am not expecting any miracles but I thought I would see if anyone has ever brewed the same thing before and what you thought about it? Thanks for any input.

Regardless of how it turns out, I am hooked!

I just cracked one of mine open over the weekend. Very good beer. I would recommend listening to the directions. Let it sit for a month. It will be well worth the wait.

Brew on, I would recommend all of the bold series BB kits. :mug:

I appreciate the feed back. I will take your advice and let it sit. I need to drink a lot more to get all the bottles I need anyways. Any other kits of theirs you would recommend?

I've become somewhat of a DogFish Head junkie so if there is one that resembles any of their beers I would love to give it a shot.

Let me ask another question then. I poured the brew pot into the fermenter. It is just a bucket with an air tight lid. Now, I have anoter one with the spiget to hook my hose up too. When I read the instructions it only mentions one fermenter. After 7 days or so do I pour into the second fermenter or not?

Let me ask another question then. I poured the brew pot into the fermenter. It is just a bucket with an air tight lid. Now, I have anoter one with the spiget to hook my hose up too. When I read the instructions it only mentions one fermenter. After 7 days or so do I pour into the second fermenter or not?

You can move it(syphon) to that fermenter to bottle. I keg, but from my research, you can put your sugar and beer in that bucket, and hook up your hose and fill bottles with your filler.

"I've become somewhat of a DogFish Head junkie so if there is one that resembles any of their beers I would love to give it a shot."

I was talking to my local bartender about their 60 and 90 minute IPAs this weekend. Apparently, their recipe is very involved. Essentially, they make a hops drop every minute for 60 or 90 minutes (depending on the type of IPA). I don't think you'll find any kits that will be that involved.

Underwaterdan- Appreciate the help. Cant wait to give it a try. I cant stop watching the airlock bubble. Am I crazy or did everyone do this with their first batch?

HuffDaddy- I've been on more tours of that brewery than I can remember. Its only 40 mins from the house. Thing is I can never remember what they say because during the tasting they get you pretty buzzed. Just had their 120 IPA for the first time recently. Its amazing!!

My very first kit was a BB English Brown Ale and I was more than pleased with it (very very tasty beer - in fact I drank a very good portion of it green) It was amazing when it was ready though... :p

The only time you want to 'pour' your beer from one vessel to another is like you said - when its going from the brew pot to the primary. (Before the yeast is pitched) this helps aerate the wort cause the yeasties like that. Anything from here on out MUST be siphoned as you dont want to aerate your fermented beer (it will taste like wet cardboard) If you so choose you can secondary your beer provided you have another vessel to do so. NOT your bottling bucket though. Your bottling bucket should only hold the beer long enough to get it into your bottles - not as a secondary fermentation vessel.

My suggestion for you - leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks to a month then transfer it to the bottling bucket for bottling. Let your bottled beers condition in the bottles for AT LEAST 3 weeks.
Then enjoy!
-Me

Oh yeah, even several batches in I still like to watch my airlock bubble (and smell it) its a part of the experience! Welcome to the obsession!

The BB American Nut Brown was my first brew ever. It came out fantastic. Definitely do not rush it though. Your patience will be rewarded.

I really appreciate it guys. I would have made a big mistake. I swear the instructions said to siphon it into the secondary bucket with the spigot after it stopped bubbling. Now I know to just leave it in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks or so. Once I siphon it into the bottling bucket I bottle it immediately? I guess it would take a little while for it to settle first. I've learned from other things that going strictly by the instructions can be a bad idea. This proves it. Thanks again everyone..

I made this as my second brew. I don't know if maybe I didn't leave it in primary long enough or just didn't like it. It had a definite twang to it to where I could drink it. I brewed it last feburary and around August of this year the twang mellowed and turned to a definite hope aroma and flavor. This was better, but I didn't feel the hop variety went well with the malt profile. I would not make this kit again if I were still extract brewing.

Kit Instruction are almost always wrong. Never judge a fermentation by time or airlock bubbles. The only way to know when FG is reached (done fermenting) is with a hydrometer. And even after that you'll want to leave it on the yeast cake a little while. Yeast do more than just convert sugar to alcohol. They go back in afterwards and clean up afterthemselves clearing some off/bad flavors they may have produced during fermentation and clearing the beer a bit.

Thanks for the input. I hope I like it. Its along the lines of brew I usually enjoy. I plan on leaving it be for a while. I need to empty some other bottles so I can fill them anyways. This will give me plenty of time to put down some Dogfish Head. Im a pretty patient person so hopefully I can wait.

While you're waiting, have you ever tried Ithaca Nut Brown? Its my favorite of the variety. I made this kit and it was good, but (unfortunately) not Ithaca Nut Brown good.

I appreciate the feed back. I will take your advice and let it sit. I need to drink a lot more to get all the bottles I need anyways. Any other kits of theirs you would recommend?

Yeah, I really like their American Style Pale Ale. I've finished 2 batches of this and will be kegging the 3rd this weekend. :mug:

Back