The is going to stabilize my efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took what I could understand about mash tun manifolds and came up with this. I obviously haven't cleaned it or slotted it yet. Is this what you people are talking about?

There will clearly be deadspace at the bottom. I cut the manifold so it sits diagonally and the effluent pipe is perfectly flat. I could get it to sit on the bottom of the mash tun and put an elbow to the outlet, but either way I have deadspace.

100_2637.jpg

100_2638.jpg

Pretty nice looking work. Should work well. You will lose suction at the highest point on the manifold that is drilled out, but as long as you account for this dead space you should be fine.

I would put the elbow, you may end up with just a little less dead space than using it angled like that. But yeah, that should just fine as a manifold.

My wort is chilling now. The system had less than a 1 gallon system loss. Which is sweet because my box cooler without a manifold was around a 3 gallon system loss.

It was also ten times easier to clean than the box cooler with the hinged lid.

Let's see how I improve on my 58% efficieny now. I'll advise once my wort cools.

Beersmith says I'm at 72%. I think their formula gets thrown off when you do a partial mash. My calculations say 66%.

did you face the slots up or down? You'll lose a lot less if you face them down, as well as lessen the risk of a stuck sparge.

Back