Spices in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmugMug

Reaction score
I don't use a secondary, but have been interested in making some spice additions to my beer. Any suggestions or warnings about adding these to my primary after FG has been reached?

Just makes it harder to wash the yeast.
In my experience, spiced beers do a bit better with time, so I tend to use a secondary on them.

Well, this will be my last brew for a while, so I'm not that concerned with washing the yeast. I figure if I put a cheese cloth around the bottling spigot I should be able to keep most of the gunk out of the bottles. I don't have anything on deck, so I can keep it in the primary without reason to transfer. Thanks for the input.

BYO just did a sudo scientific study and they found beer tastes better if you let it sit on primary longer. So I say once you reach the FG add away.

I would avoid cheese cloth because of turbulence adding O2. Just leave the big stuff behind when moving into your bottling bucket. Whats a little haze?

Back