lots of hops, low boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
HAIL ALL!! been playing with that recepie calculator again @ tastybrew.com and have been playing with the idea of bringing my wort to a full rapid boil and boiling 4 oz of amarillo hops for 5 min and taking it off of the heat/pouring in 2 bags of ice/etc... Instead of having 1 or .5oz for an hour then adding some hops at the end to finish why not just add a TON of hops for a very small amount of time? I am a hophead. This makes sense to me. Not only do I not have to stand around waiting that whole hour for my beer to boil but I get a nice hoppy beer. What are the pros? What are the cons?:confused: here's an example

7lbs light malt extract(in a tub :D )
1lbs caramel
1lbs carafoam
.5lbs crystal malt 80L

4oz amarillo hops 9.8% for 5 min (after which I would dump in a bag of ice to drop the temperature rapidly to aviod anymore bittering to take place)

boil volume would be 3 gallons
batch size would be 5.25 gallons

oh yes, and more Rogue pacman yeast, I LOVE that stuff :D

No bittering hops, just finishing hops, but the finishing hops get the ibu's to the desired level. Any input on this idea would be greatly appreciated. :rockin:

4 oz Amarillo for 5 minutes only gives you 28 IBUs.

Interesting theory, but you might have to do a bit longer of a boil (or hell - put a POUND of hops in there). No idea, though, if you are insane or not.

You'll end up with a really smooth bitterness and a ton of hop flavor. The problem is that the math for late addition IBU calculations breaks down. You'll have to experiment, but it is a sound method and I've read it works well in styles which can handle the huge amount of hop aroma and flavor. Let me know how it goes, I've been thinking of trying this as well.

Also, make sure you boil long enough to get your hot-break, we don't just boil for bitterness.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Your point being what?

My point being that adding a ton of hops in a shorter boil will give you a lot of hop flavor and aroma, but very little bitterness. If this is what you are after, then go for it, but it will be difficult to brew varieties of beer that have certain amounts of bitterness with a shorter boil that will produce no bitterness.

Oh and if you are going for hop flavor/aroma, use something other than Amarillo. Use Goldings or Saaz or Tettnanger or Hallertauer or Sorachi or something with a nice aroma and flavor. I guess some people like the aroma of Amarillo or Simcoe or Cascades but to me I could only use those as bittering hops where all the flavor/aroma is boiled off.

BrewmanBeing said:
My point being that adding a ton of hops in a shorter boil will give you a lot of hop flavor and aroma, but very little bitterness. If this is what you are after, then go for it, but it will be difficult to brew varieties of beer that have certain amounts of bitterness with a shorter boil that will produce no bitterness.

yeah, that's kinda what we were talking about. Since the IBU prediction calculations are not very accurate in this area, one would need to experiment a bit. I was thinking about trying a major hop addition around 20 minutes left in the boil. This would still give you a bit of isomerization, and you'd have crazy hop flavor.

:mug:

FWH also reportedly gives this effect (the effect of a 20m hop addition). I'm thinking about trying it pretty soon as having a bunch of hops in the kettle prior to boiling should also help cut down on boilovers.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Also, make sure you boil long enough to get your hot-break, we don't just boil for bitterness.

We also boil to kill bugs. Your going to need at least 15 min to do it.

I've done 20 minute boils. When I do extract, I don't worry about hot break or bugs (except yellow jackets).

There was an article in an issue of Zymurgy sometime this summer that talked about hefty, later hop additions. If you have a real bitter hop (like a Magnum for example), but don't want the big bitter punch you can add them at 45m (in a 60m boil).

Late-boil hop additions will also help with creating more or complex aroma without killing your beer with unwanted IBU's. IIRC the jist of the article was about adding complexion and variety to your beers, and not really at all about getting bitterness quickly. If I can dig it up I'll post some of the paragraphs I highlighted that were interesting to me.

texasgeorge said:
There was an article in an issue of Zymurgy sometime this summer that talked about hefty, later hop additions. If you have a real bitter hop (like a Magnum for example), but don't want the big bitter punch you can add them at 45m (in a 60m boil).

Late-boil hop additions will also help with creating more or complex aroma without killing your beer with unwanted IBU's. IIRC the jist of the article was about adding complexion and variety to your beers, and not really at all about getting bitterness quickly. If I can dig it up I'll post some of the paragraphs I highlighted that were interesting to me.

I'm not looking for a shortcut, that would only be a by-product of this short boil with a ton of hops. I have recently found amarillo and LOVE the flavor it imparts. It's tasty. I also am kinda looking for a house recepie to keep a certain beer on tap. It needs to be MEGA hoppy, but not too bitter. My friends don't like bitter much, I'm not a huge fan of bitter, but I've become quite the hop head. So my 4-5% ish pale ale must be MEGA hoppy but keep the IBU's low. This year's harvest in my area of amarillo is 9.8% so I must keep boil times down or use just a fraction of the bag of hops I have bought for bittering. Screw it, I figure, why not just put all the hops I can in for the IBU's I want all at once very late in the boil. That would make, theoretically (man this site needs spell check), this beer very aromatic with a good heavy hop flavor. Some would even use the word complex. *shrug* Has anyone ever tried this?

Back