help me tweak my apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a batch of apfelwein about 2-3 months ago. While I definitely see the appeal...it's just not what i was looking for, and isn't _my_ style.

I was thinking of a few things...

I hate to throw out my batch I made, but i just have not been drinking it like I thought/hoped I would be. It is just too dry for my tastes, (I understand that's how it is supposed to turn out) It also lacks a lot of apple flavor...

So What are my options? Can I fix this? I bought a few cans of 100% apple juice concentrate from my grocery store, can I add this after its already been chilled/carbonated/kegged? This should sweeten it some and add the apple flavor right?

Should i just do a new batch with 2 cans of concentrate and use a sweet cider yeast instead of a dry wine yeast?

Thanks!

That cream soda idea sounds interesting - I'll have to try that. I read somewhere on HBT recently that the way the Germans do it is to add Sprite or 7UP to the Apfelwein to sweeten it up and add some carbonation. Haven't tried it yet as I'm aging mine, but definitely on the to-do list.

FWIW- I don't think AW matures until around 8 months... maybe it just needs some time. Or maybe you need to have a cider not a wein (use an appropriate yeast like you said).

Cream soda might be good, but tonic water was how I enjoyed it. Also, I think adding concentrate at kegging would be good. Other things I've thought about doing with apfelwein or cider include adding soda flavor extract to it like ginger beer.

I think EdWort suggested mixing it with Sprite/7-Up in the master thread somewhere.

I think EdWort suggested mixing it with Sprite/7-Up in the master thread somewhere.

Yeah I've seen the sprite/7-up suggestion, and have yet to try it because I don't usually have soda around the house, especially now that I make my own.

I'll try adding a can or two of concentrate to the batch I kegged...$2 to try it so can't hurt anything...

The cream soda idea is definitely interesting. I'll be making a batch this upcoming weekend so I will give that a shot as well!

I threw a few sticks of cinnamon and honey in mine and its aging now. But the cream soda sounds good as well.

Could you just add some apple juice concentrate to help sweeten it up, before you bottle/keg/drink?

Yes, if you stablized it first with some Potassium Metabisulfite and some sorbate....if bottling and or kegging.

Back