Nosferatu Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Wow. This stuff is great!

Here is what the website says:

Ingredients:
Harrington 2-Row Base Malt
Crystal 77
Special Roast

HOPS
Simcoe: bitterness
Cascade: aroma and flavor;
Plato: 18 ~ 1.075ish / IBU: 70 / 8.0%abv

I am guessing it finishes around 1.014ish

My guess at a Recipe at 70% eff
13.5 2 row
1.0lb Crystal 80 (cant get the C77)
.75 Special Roast
SRM - 13.6

Hop Schedule: IBU 68ish

FWH - 1.0 Simcoe
60 min - .75 Simcoe
15 - 1 oz cascade
10 - 1 oz cascade
5 - 1 oz cascade
Flame out:
1oz cascade
.5 simcoe?

will be brewing this the during the first weekend of October.

I welcome and suggestions / feedback / criticism.

Thanks!

This beer is really good!! I know it's not on their website but I definitely get a clear hit of Chinook in there somewhere. Maybe dry hop?

OP, any updates on this brew? Im putting work in on a discounted case I picked up last weekend and this is one of my favorite seasonal beers out. I'd love to find a good recipe for something like this.

What kind of yeast for this? I'd image US-05 or something else very clean.

Did you end up giving this a try? Specifically I wondered how the hop schedule endied up.

The two batches I did of the Burning Bridge, the first was US-05 and the second was BRY-97. I feel the US-05 worked better for me. I came out cleaner and less residual sweetness (which is good for a beer with an OG of 1.091)

And I am going to us it again for another Burning Bridge clone this fall.

I just found this thread (we really need a 'zombie thread' emoticon) and thought I'd chip in my experience. I brewed a 6 gallon batch of a similar recipe, and while my final volume, and thus gravity readings, were off, I can offer up that I don't think Crystal 80 gives the right color and possibly flavor that Crystal 77 will give.

For color I got more tan/brown instead of red. Admittedly the color was a little light, so I could probably use a bit more either C-80 or Special Roast, but I don't see any hint of red. For flavor, I was listening to an old Jamil Show podcast (don't remember which one), and he made the point that there are fairly big flavor differences between British and American crystal malts. While I can't verify that through experience I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. For what it's worth, Williams Brewing has Crisp Crystal 77.

It's been a while since I tasted commercial Nosferatu, so I don't know about the hopping, but I really dig the hops in this.

Here's the recipe:

6 gallons, calculated for 72% efficiency

16.5 lb Rahr 2-row
1 lb Briess C-80
.75 lb Special Roast

1 oz Simcoe (12.7% AA, pellet) - 60 min
1 oz Simcoe - 30 min
1 oz Cascade (7.3% AA, pellet) - 20 min
1 oz Cascade - 5 min
1 oz Cascade - 0 min

2 packs Mangrove Jack's Workhorse dry yeast

Mash: 156 for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 for 15 min
Boil: 60 min

OG: 1.075
FG: 1.015
ABV: 8%
IBU: 69.4
SRM: 13.4

Unfortunately my post-boil volume was really high, so my OG was only 1.060, and my FG was high at 1.019, giving me 5.5% ABV. The resulting beer is rather sweet and unpleasant, and the caramel malt character was kind of "dark fruit"-like, which really doesn't blend well with the hops. I'm curious to see what would happen if a) I hit my target gravities, and b) I use the C-77 instead of C-80.

Back