1st batch update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsayers

Reaction score
I'm posting updates like I actually have followers of my brewing experience eagerly awaiting my words, lol. I'm excited, what can I say?

Just took a SG reading from the oatmeal stout I made last week. OG was 1.065 and it is currently at 1.023. I know oatmeal stouts mellow with age but DAMN I was surprised at how much of an alcohol bite it had! Curious what the ABV will be when its all said and done.

Giving it a few more days then I will check the SG again. Really looking forward to drinking this beer around the holidays in a few months with friends and family! And if you are interested, I just finished my 2nd brew day. There is a write up in the beginner forum.

Thanks again to all the fine folks out there that walked me through the newb stuff. I look forward to learning more and returning the favor.

JB

Another update.

DELICIOUS! drinking one now. Friends and family like it a lot. Giving a couple to the owner of my LHBS and a friend who is a brew meister at a micro in my area. Hope they are as impressed.

JB

Yooper said:
Sounds great! It's always great to hear about a great batch, especially a first batch. I love stout this time of year.

I love stouts, too. That's why I chose it as my first brew. Also glad I dove into this hobby with all grain.

If my brews get better with experience, I'm really excited!

JB

Congrats,I am a newbie also,and had a brew I was about to give up on and now its turning out great,got an all malt amber in ferment and fixin to jump into the deep water with an all grain double bock,wish me luck

With those numbers you are right around 5.6%. If it keeps falling you could maybe get to 6% or just a bit north.

jeepinjeepin said:
With those numbers you are right around 5.6%. If it keeps falling you could maybe get to 6% or just a bit north.

That's about what I calculated, too. Its definitely lost that bite but I think the ABV is a little higher than that. I had a good little buzz after 1.5 of these.

JB

So what was the final FG? I had a 1.065 strong ale that finished at 1.017. Turned out darn good for my 1st attempt at the #3 Burton ale. Wanna try a milk stout myself.

So what was the final FG? I had a 1.065 strong ale that finished at 1.017. Turned out darn good for my 1st attempt at the #3 Burton ale. Wanna try a milk stout myself.

I'll check my brew notes when I get home but I don't think it dropped much lower. Its right around 1.02ish.

JB

Back