Some advice please. :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnjoyGoodBeer

Reaction score
Bewed my first extract two weeks ago, came up with 1.061 on my og. My question is what should my fg be? I dont have any beer software.

6# wheat dme
1/2# veinna
1/2# munich
Pitch US-05 yeast
Og was 1.061 FG ?

Thanks for the help

Edit: did not mention it was my first extract without a kit. I put this brew together myself

Keep in mind too that most extract brews finish around 1.020 most of the time, although I have had a few finish lower. I don't know the particulars of why but it has to do with the process of making the extract. With a beer that big though, make sure to really aerate the wort and use a starter. For most brews at or under 1.050 you can just use the packet and get by with it okay, but for anything bigger, general consensus is to make a starter due to the potential alcohol content and pressure of the wort.

Yeah im aware of the starters but I did not expect to get that big of a OG on that. Was my forst beer without a kit. And as for software i currently dont have a pc. Im using my ipod touch on wifi for HBT.

If you have an ipod touch or iphone id suggest getting iBrewMaster. its not very expensive and is a really good tool.

Kahler said:
If you have an ipod touch or iphone id suggest getting iBrewMaster. its not very expensive and is a really good tool.

Yeah iv been seeing tht in the app store I will pick it up in 2 weeks.

Keep in mind too that most extract brews finish around 1.020 most of the time, although I have had a few finish lower. I don't know the particulars of why but it has to do with the process of making the extract.

Uh, I've done mostly extract brews up until my last couple and never had a batch finish that high. Mine have finished anywhere from 1.008 to 1.012 for an FG. If yours have finished at 1.020, you might want to check to see if your hydrometer is calibrated correctly.

Uh, I've done mostly extract brews up until my last couple and never had a batch finish that high. Mine have finished anywhere from 1.008 to 1.012 for an FG. If yours have finished at 1.020, you might want to check to see if your hydrometer is calibrated correctly.

I've never had any beer that I used US-05 yeast with finish above 1.015. It is a highly attenuating yeast and with extract you can't control % of fermentable sugars like you can with AG.

I've never had any beer that I used US-05 yeast with finish above 1.015. It is a highly attenuating yeast and with extract you can't control % of fermentable sugars like you can with AG.

My pale ale fermented with WLP001 at 71F finished out at 1.008 from 1.046

IbrewMaster is awesome! I've had it for a couple months now and couldn't brew without it. It lets you print your recipes for brew day too. :)

IbrewMaster is awesome! I've had it for a couple months now and couldn't brew without it. It lets you print your recipes for brew day too. :)

I like it a lot. it makes it easy when shopping to verify the recipe and make changes on the fly if necessary.

Back