Calling hop heads.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When you're drinking a big IPA do you find the hops leave you with a slightly tingling,numbing,spicey flavor/feeling in you mouth after a glass or so?

Or is there something very strange and maybe wrong with my BIGIPA?

I like it, I'm going for another, then I think I need a nap.:drunk:

Yeah, sounds like you got it! It looks like you may be experiencing (or are getting close) to this:

LTS.jpg

I brewed an IPA recently that had a hundred and fifteen IBU's (according to Promash) and that gave me the same tingling. I could still feel it the next day. Wonderful stuff :)

/Phil.

I made the mistake of chewing an as-yet unreleased 19.8% AA hop. Couldn't taste a thing for a hour, but my teeth were squeaky clean.

I've definately experienced the Lupulin Threshold Shift. My homebrewed IPA has 76 IPA, and as much as I love it, I want to make one with even more.

McKBrew said:
I've definately experienced the Lupulin Threshold Shift.
+1!!! I used to think that even the most mild of IPAs were "too hoppy." Now I seek out IIPAs, and I can't get enough! I still really enjoy a good, malty brew, but I can be a bit of a hophead at times.

Stone Ruination kicks ass - overwhelms the tastebuds and nose, leaves your palate devastated. It's awesome...and a little numbing.

Need...more...hops...

I hear a lot about Stone Ruination. Where's the recipe, guys? Also, how can I get a more "chewy" IPA? The ones I make are bitter enough, but not with enough body, which somehow seems to affect the nature of the hop flavor.

The one I made is not high on ABV at 4.5% but it is mashed high so it's got plenty of maltiness. I think it's very balanced.

It is not mouth puckering or overly floral. Some of my hops were opened for a week so the IBUs may be lower than stated. My normal brews are around 25 IBUs.

Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.50 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3Grain 76.2 %
1.00 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.0 %
0.25 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
28.30 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (0 min) Hops -
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
60.00 gm Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Based on my liquid "research", I'd say hops are as addictive as a certain closely related leafy plant. Think about it. You're first "hit" is typically something with a lower IBU, and it overwhelms you at first, then before long you are brewing/drinking mega IPA's and then dry-hopping with even more and it's not enough.

I am far more into hop bitterness and flavor than aroma. Although there should be a balance between the three, if I have to pick I pick the former two. But I love a huge kick of bitterness when there isn't enough malt flavor to back it up.

Stone's Ruination goes a long way to what I think an IPA should be.

Back