Filling the Bourbon Barrel with Strong Belgian Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromados

Reaction score
Well 3 weeks ago I brewed a 10 gallon batch of something like a Strong Belgian Brown (which I know is not a real "style"). Well its fermented down and is ready to go into my bourbon barrel.

10 gallons moved from the fermentation chamber to the kitchen.
IMG_00833.jpg

The 3 strains of Brett I will be starting off with, the Bugs will be added shortly.
IMG_00712.jpg

3.5 pounds of cherries into the barrel
IMG_00845.jpg

Almost full with 8 gallons.
IMG_00872.jpg

Full and where it will be stored for aging.
IMG_00892.jpg

Chromados

nice! that looks like it should be pretty damn tasty here in 18 months or so... can you give more details on the base beer? just curious what the ABV is and what yeast you used. also, what bug mix will you add and how did you ensure that there is enough fermentables around for the brett/bugs? lastly, where did you score the bourbon barrel?

Yeah the base beer recipe is as follows (sorry I dont know how to professionally post recipes from Beer Tools Pro onto the site) but here is goes for a 10 gallon batch.

11 pounds Pale Malt
11 pounds Pils Malt
4 pounds Vienna Malt
2.5 pounds Crystal 40L
1 Pound Carafa Special III (crushed in a coffee grinder to a fine pulp and added at the end of the mash for color)

2 oz Perle at 45 minutes (25 IBU's)

Large starter with White Labs WLP530 (Abbey Ale)

With this recipe I had an O.G. of 1.080.
After primary the belgian yeast took it down to 1.014.

I will be adding Lacto and Pedio sometime soon as well as bottle dregs over the months while it ages.

I got the barrel from http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/TuthilltownSpirits/-strse-Barrels/Categories.bok. I would easily buy another barrel from them.

Chromados

Amazing where did you buy the barrel? I am willing to order one right now! How many gallons is that thing 10 or 11? The only thing that holds me back is my home gets to be around 85 during the hot months in summer, but I have a friend with a cellar, I can stash it at his house.

edit: sorry just saw you mentioned where you bought it up above.

Had a nice Jolly Pumpkin Stout tonight with dinner and added the dregs to the extra fermented wort to make a little starter. I will do this with most sour beers I have over the next year or so to get the funky into the barrel. The extra will be added to the barrel as evaporation occurs.

IMG_00965.jpg

Chromados

Back