Add Lactose at Secondary or Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I asked this question at the end of another thread, but I fear it's gotten lost in the other questions...

I'm going on 4 weeks in primary for a raspberry cider, and I plan to rack it to secondary in the next day or so. The recipe also calls for adding 1/2 lb of lactose and 4 oz of raspberry flavoring.

Could I add those while racking to the secondary to give them a good chance to mix well? They'd me mixed a second time when transferring to the bottling bucket this way.... or should I just wait and add them the same time I add the priming sugar at bottling?

It really doesn't matter. You can add them at any time. I'd probably add them at secondary, so you can add more later if it's not enough. In fact I'd probably add it to secondary, but a bit less than the recipe recommends. You can taste it later, and add more if needed. I'm not a fan of very sweet things, so I'm cautious when it comes to sweetening wines and ciders.

Back