Low Starting Gravity Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twubs

Reaction score
I have done a few patches now using the Brewers Best Kits and the last 3 have had much lower starting gravities then the recipe range indicates. Yesterday I did the Hop Nog and it was at 1.037 and and EPA this morning that is at 1.026.

I just check the hydrometer to make sure it was calibrated.

I followed the directions to a T. Any thoughts. Do I need to be seriously concerned? Is there anything I can do at this point, or let them go and realize the Alc% will just end up being lower, 'Near Beer'.

Thanks

I am betting on uneven mixing in the fermenter. My first batch I measured the OG and it was 1.12 when I was expecting 1.048. Beer turned out fine.

It is impossible to get a drastically lower gravity than what the kit indicates since the amount of sugar is already determined in a extract kit. The most common thing is what dontman said, not enough mixing. The extract is a lot heavier than top off water so it sinks to the bottom.

It is VERY POSSIBLE! I have made 115 gallons of extract kits. SG is below advertised EVERY TIME! Buy the appropriate DME and add until SG is where you want it.

It is VERY POSSIBLE! I have made 115 gallons of extract kits. SG is below advertised EVERY TIME! Buy the appropriate DME and add until SG is where you want it.

I have to politely disagree. I have made quite a few more batches than you and I have never had an extract kit off of it's estimated gravity. Unlike all grain brewing, extract kits had X amount of sugar in them when you get them.

Back