Manhattan Lhbs kind of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblebrew

Reaction score
I went to the farmers market in Manhattan the other day and found this guy. http://www.jwlcraftbrewing.com/ He has a homebrew shop in Lawrence ks, and comes to the farmers market every other week. You can even order online and check the box that says pick up at farmers market and cod.

I thought it was worth a share.

Live in Lawrence and have been to their shop a lot. Their yeast and hop selection is amazing for being a small shop in town. Too bad I cut WAY back on drinking, and thus way back on brewing, otherwise I'd buy more stuff from them.

Today I called to place an order and their message said they were out of business. Anyone know what happened?

Oh you gotta be kidding me! I just converted an AG barleywine recipe to partial mash today and tried to order up some stuff. On their website I couldn't get to any products. I thought maybe they were just having website issues.

They closed up shop without telling anyone in the Lawrence Brewers Guild. Not really sure what happened, but I'd imagine just not getting a lot of business.

FYI, there's a new LHBS opening in Topeka as well called Downtown Craft Brewing I think. I'd link the facebook page but FB is blocked here at work.

Down town craft brew is open today! I am driving down after work today and will report back as to how much they have/offer. It doesnt look like they let you custom make a grain bill, but we will see!

Down town craft brew is open today! I am driving down after work today and will report back as to how much they have/offer. It doesnt look like they let you custom make a grain bill, but we will see!

I just got back from there. It might be a little hard to see it because he really has no sign out front. Just painted on a dark window. I walked right by it. But it is literally right on the corner of 4th & Kansas.
He has a good selection for just opening but he was already out of a few things I wanted to buy (Amber DME, S04 yeast, fermcap). He was already making a list of things he was out of and things people were asking for and said he would have them this week. He will let you create a grainbill and will mill them for you with no Mill charge!
Its really going to be nice to have a store like this in the area. I really hope people support him and it is around for a long time!!!

I just got back from there. It might be a little hard to see it because he really has no sign out front. Just painted on a dark window. I walked right by it. But it is literally right on the corner of 4th & Kansas.
He has a good selection for just opening but he was already out of a few things I wanted to buy (Amber DME, S04 yeast, fermcap). He was already making a list of things he was out of and things people were asking for and said he would have them this week. He will let you create a grainbill and will mill them for you with no Mill charge!
Its really going to be nice to have a store like this in the area. I really hope people support him and it is around for a long time!!!

Glad to hear they are having that much business already! I just wasnt sure what the grain situation was like. From the pictures on FB, it looked like you could only buy the prepacked grains. I hope he has extra light DME when I get there around six haha. I will definitely be shopping there about once a month and hope my little contribution helps! Any chance you inquired about buying 50lb bags of grain there?

He had Extra Light DME, I think it was $11 for a 3lb bag, which I thought was good price! Plus you get 10% today.
I didnt inquire about 50lbs bags, but I overheard someone else. He said he could do it but didnt mention a price.

He had Extra Light DME, I think it was $11 for a 3lb bag, which I thought was good price! Plus you get 10% today.
I didnt inquire about 50lbs bags, but I overheard someone else. He said he could do it but didnt mention a price.

wait, 10% on everything?! I could be getting myself in trouble if thats the case

Yep, if he got 500 likes on Facebook before opening, he was going to give everyone 10% today only. He got 500 likes in no time!
Happy shopping and go Cats!

My friend got there and told me they had DME and LME. I texted him if they had 50lb bags there. It might have been my friend you over heard. Also, I didn't get a price.

He said they could likely order them, but if not, they can order enough smaller bags of DME to reach 50lbs.

He said they could likely order them, but if not, they can order enough smaller bags of DME to reach 50lbs.

DME? would in the world would anyone want a 50lb bag of DME? I was talking about grain haha

So i went to Downtown Craft Brew last night and was pretty pleased with there prices. I got a giant funnel, 4lbs of dextrose, 4 lbs of DME, 8- 1lb bags of specialty malts, brew hauler, mash paddle, 2 oz of hops, 3 packets of montrachet, all for $65. I was disappointing in their grain system as they could not make a custom grist, but only had 1lb bags for sale. The service also wasnt great and I had to dig through the fridge to find the hops I wanted. Check out took about 20 minutes since it was hand written and they had to figure a 10% discount on everything. Besides that, Im sure I will continue to make the drive for supplies as opposed to ordering online. I just hope they are around awhile!

Back