Running wire in conduit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I am trying to decide what to run from my main panel to my spa panel. I am planning on the wire to carry 50 amps. I originally thought I would run individual 6 gauge wires in conduit because I thought it would be cheaper. After looking at it a little more it looks like it would be a lot of work running the conduit compared to what I would save. I will be running the wire in my basement along the floor joists. I need to go about forty feet. Can I run 6/3 Romex without using conduit? I have 12/2 Romex running through my basement without conduit and was wondering if there is any difference? I understand that I wold need conduit coming down the wall to the spa panel just like I have for the other outlets in my basement. If the research I have read about wiring up a hot tub is the same as what I am trying accomplish it seems like unless the wires are individual conduit is not recommended. Thanks for any help.

Per the National Electrical Code 334.15, you can run wires not smaller than 3 8awg wires along the bottom of the joists. So you are fine with the 6/3.

It actually won't be along the bottom of the joists but between the bottom of the floor and the bottom of the floor joists. Just like the way the other wires for the whole house are run.

Conduit is pretty darn cheap compared to the wire itself. $2.50 a foot? Dag nabbit.

I've got a 35 foot run to do myself.

I can get the wire for 1.13 a foot. And it will be so much easier than running conduit around everything in between my breaker box and the spa panel.

Conduit is cheap but when you add the cost of the sweeps and lb's and j boxes. It adds up quick.

local codes can vary. For example in NYC you can't use NM cable only BX and anything not inside a wall needs to be in conduit. But I'm guessing in most places in the country NM cable is just fine.

I think it has to be code that it is ok where I live because all the other wires in my house are not in conduit. Of course they are all much smaller. The only you place they are in conduit is where there is outlets or switches in my basement and the wire runs down the wall. I just wanted to make sure that the size of the wire didn't make a difference. My house was built in 2007.

I am talking to a friend who is building almost the same setup. He is running the wire in conduit. The 6/3 with a ground wire. Is there a reason he couldn't put it in conduit? Would there be heat issues?

I am talking to a friend who is building almost the same setup. He is running the wire in conduit. The 6/3 with a ground wire. Is there a reason he couldn't put it in conduit? Would there be heat issues?

No, no reason at all he CAN'T use conduit. Some places require it.

Run the correct size conduit for the wire size and heat is not an issue. Also, PVC conduit is easy to install - it's cut and glued together like PVC water pipe.

Most local codes require the wire to be covered by two sheaths. When you have single wires, like THHN, the second sheath is the conduit itself. By using romex, the individual wires have insulation, then the entire bundle of wires have a layer of insulation, meeting that code, that's why you see them run without conduit in homes. You should be fine running just the romex, but to be positive, you'll have to check with your local electrical code.

Do not run sheathed cable in conduit. The heat build-up is too much. Besides, pulling THHN through conduit is insanely easier than trying to pull a sheathed bundle through. At any rate, OP, you are fine to use the sheathed 6/3 for your set up. If you can run it along the bottom of the joists, you are certainly fine to run it inbetween the joists. To be fair, it is not necessarily a code violation to run sheathed cable in conduit as long as you don't overfill, but I can't think of any good reason to do so when THHN is so much easier (unless you were running a very short distance like down a wall).

Do not run sheathed cable in conduit. The heat build-up is too much. Besides, pulling THHN through conduit is insanely easier than trying to pull a sheathed bundle through. At any rate, OP, you are fine to use the sheathed 6/3 for your set up. If you can run it along the bottom of the joists, you are certainly fine to run it inbetween the joists. To be fair, it is not necessarily a code violation to run sheathed cable in conduit as long as you don't overfill, but I can't think of any good reason to do so when THHN is so much easier (unless you were running a very short distance like down a wall).

Thanks for the replies. So it would be alright to run the sheathed cable down the wall in conduit to the spa panel? I don't really think it is a big deal to put in a junction box in and run the THHN wires down through but if there isn't a problem with the sheathed cable running a short distance in conduit I would rather do that. It would only be 3-4 feet and I would use big conduit( I hate pulling wire through conduit when it is a tight fit).

You can run the Romex in conduit down the wall to your spa panel. Electrical contractors do this routinely on new construction and on residential improvements.

Thanks for the replies. So it would be alright to run the sheathed cable down the wall in conduit to the spa panel? I don't really think it is a big deal to put in a junction box in and run the THHN wires down through but if there isn't a problem with the sheathed cable running a short distance in conduit I would rather do that. It would only be 3-4 feet and I would use big conduit( I hate pulling wire through conduit when it is a tight fit).

Yeah, its ok to do it that way. Electrical contractors and inspectors dispute this all of the time, but the code doesn't directly prohibit it... But both groups pretty much agree that for 6 foot distances, it is fine. Use a connector or approved bushing where the wire enters the conduit to prevent abrasion/chaffing of the wire.

An electrical inspector will almost certainly reject an exposed NM (Romex) cable run down a basement wall into a spa panel or junction box.

For just a short run in conduit down your wall you should be fine.

Most of the major NEC prohibitions against running NM cable in conduit involve installations in wet areas like underground and outdoors.

To a lessor degree, de-rating the service for long runs of cable in conduit (aforementioned heat issue).

In my basement there are 2 romex wires coming down to receptacles for the laundry appliances. Not only are they not in conduit, they have been partially plastered into the wall, and painted over. The house inspector didn't notice. Must have been the paint job.

Ugh, my home has wire runs just like you describe (plastered & painted over) that make me toss and turn at night thinking about the ways they could cause calamity....

Ugh, my home has wire runs just like you describe (plastered & painted over) that make me toss and turn at night thinking about the ways they could cause calamity....

That wiring will still be doing fine after we are all long gone.:)

I am trying to decide what to run from my main panel to my spa panel. I am planning on the wire to carry 50 amps. I originally thought I would run individual 6 gauge wires in conduit because I thought it would be cheaper. After looking at it a little more it looks like it would be a lot of work running the conduit compared to what I would save. I will be running the wire in my basement along the floor joists. I need to go about forty feet. Can I run 6/3 Romex without using conduit? I have 12/2 Romex running through my basement without conduit and was wondering if there is any difference? I understand that I wold need conduit coming down the wall to the spa panel just like I have for the other outlets in my basement. If the research I have read about wiring up a hot tub is the same as what I am trying accomplish it seems like unless the wires are individual conduit is not recommended. Thanks for any help.
Try this http://www.carlonsales.com/flexplusblueent.php Romex of that size is a pain to work with, I would rather use some flexible stranded wire and since you dont want to mess with EMT, this may help.

I just bought 50 feet of 4 gauge ser aluminum wire - capable of carrying 50 amps. i think it was 1.02 per foot.

going to run it along the joists in the ceiling downstairs this week. it requires an anti oxidation paste but other than that it seems to be the same as 6/3 copper romex.

I just bought 50 feet of 4 gauge ser aluminum wire - capable of carrying 50 amps. i think it was 1.02 per foot.

going to run it along the joists in the ceiling downstairs this week. it requires an anti oxidation paste but other than that it seems to be the same as 6/3 copper romex.

Aluminum wire is a big no no, can't believe they still sell it.

Aluminum wire is fine. Just use the proper connectors and the anti-ox compound. Years ago there was a problem with the alloy that was used. Also, the smaller gauge aluminum wires had a tendency to deteriorate, posing an arc problem. Today's alloys are much better, plus using a wire as large as you are, you are likely going to use a threaded connector (small slug is threaded into the wire), which will maintain a nice positive connection.

It scares me, too many connection problems. Maybe the new alloys have helped, and yes put plenty of nocorrode on it, as an electrician, I myself would not use it.

Aluminum wire is fine. Just use the proper connectors and the anti-ox compound. Years ago there was a problem with the alloy that was used. Also, the smaller gauge aluminum wires had a tendency to deteriorate, posing an arc problem. Today's alloys are much better, plus using a wire as large as you are, you are likely going to use a threaded connector (small slug is threaded into the wire), which will maintain a nice positive connection.

can you point me toward some of these slugs? Guess I need to buy some.

Sorry for the rant. As long as your connections are labeled for AL/CU and you use the antioxidant compound you should be fine. The connectors at your spa panel are set screw lugs which can be obtained at any electrical supply house, make sure you tell them the size of your conductors. Tighten your connectors at least twice since the metal gives a bit after the first tightening. There should be some time lapse between.

Sorry for the rant. As long as your connections are labeled for AL/CU and you use the antioxidant compound you should be fine. The connectors at your spa panel are set screw lugs which can be obtained at any electrical supply house, make sure you tell them the size of your conductors. Tighten your connectors at least twice since the metal gives a bit after the first tightening. There should be some time lapse between.

OP, This^^^

It scares me, too many connection problems. Maybe the new alloys have helped, and yes put plenty of nocorrode on it, as an electrician, I myself would not use it.

I garantee the entry cable into your house is aluminum and there is a good chance the power running to your stove is aluminum.

Aluminum was a problem when the Engineers didn't understand the thermal prperties of aluminum wire. Aluminum expands a lot more than copper when heated and it would loosen under the outlet & switch screws. Then the loose wires would cause hot spots & eventually a fire.

Used properly with hardware marked AL/CU (AL is aluminum & CU is copper) and aluminum wire is fine.

Back