How do you sanitize the valves on corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHead33

Reaction score
I own 4 ball lock corny kegs and I have in the past just poured sanitizer in through the ball lock valves to clean/sanitize them. I am wondering if it is possible and perhaps a better idea to remove the valves temporarily from the kegs to sanitize them. Thanks

I remove the valves every other beer and give them a good cleaning and then sanitize and lube. When I don't do that I just fill the keg with hot water and run it through the lines followed by oxy and then finally starsan. Never had a problem doing it this way.

I remove the valves every other beer and give them a good cleaning and then sanitize and lube. When I don't do that I just fill the keg with hot water and run it through the lines followed by oxy and then finally starsan. Never had a problem doing it this way.

I generally do this as well. If you have a few kegs to clean you can setup an assembly line and run cleaner/water/sanitizer through them one at a time from keg to keg.

I remove the posts and dip tubes for every second beer. You can clean everything and then replace/relube all the washers that way.

I often find little bits of hops and other stuff trapped in the valves.

Thanks for the input. I tried to remove the valves with a wrench but I couldnt budge them. Can anybody recommend a good way to get those loose? Also, what is it exactly in these valves that need lube? Thanks

Thanks for the input. I tried to remove the valves with a wrench but I couldnt budge them. Can anybody recommend a good way to get those loose? Also, what is it exactly in these valves that need lube? Thanks

Are you using a 7/8" deep socket wrench? If they get really stuck on there, sometimes you need a longer ratchet bar for more torque.

Try putting the wrench over the post and hitting the end of the open end with a hammer. Or probably a rubber mallet might be better if you have one.

Thanks guys, I will try it with a socket instead of a wrench. What exactly needs lubrication inside these valves once I have them apart?

Thanks guys, I will try it with a socket instead of a wrench. What exactly needs lubrication inside these valves once I have them apart?

The lubrication just serves to allow the pieces to tighten down properly to get a good seal. I haven't used any kind of keg lube in ages, but some kegs need it occasionally.

Back