Extract Lambic ?! help my failing memory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoder

Reaction score
I seem to remember somewhere (wild brews, mad fermentationist, this forum, ???) reading about a homebrewer who was producing award winning lambics using extract...and i believe adding cornstarch to the boil. Searching the forum and elsewhere has not come up with the recipe/story I remember. Can anyone point me to the source for this?

Can anyone here comment on their own success (or failure) using this method?

thanks!

His name is Steve P. (i don't remember the last name) He is mentioned in Brewing Classic Styles and his recipe can be found through searching on BYO. Sorry, I'm at work on the mobile app right now or I would find it for you.

It's 50% Light DME and 50% Wheat DME. Add in some maltodextrin and Wyeast Lambic Blend.

I made 10 gallons of it last Thanksgiving, and its still in the carboys. So I'll let you know what happens in the next 8-10 months. Haha. :mug:

I think your talking about the Piatz method, That Jamil talks about in book brewing classic styles. To recap what Steve Piatz now does is add Malodextrine to his lambics and sours to so the "Bugs" have some thing to eat after the fermenting is done. This is not corn starch. Malodextrin is the same thing as using carapils malt, it adds long chain dextrins to your beer it has a thicker mouthfeel. The Bugs can convert these long chain dextrins, but the normal yeast cannot. Lambics are kept for 3+years so after the first year, the "Bugs" eat the dextrins.

yodalegomaster said:
I think your talking about the Piatz method, That Jamil talks about in book brewing classic styles.

That's it! Also, I should add that I've put several sour bottle dregs in with the Lambic Blend. Last time I checked about 5 months ago, the gravity was around 1.006.

Thanks! That's right...Brewing Classic Styles! I never would have remembered that on my own!

To contribute to the zeitgeist, here is the link to the BYO article.

http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/979-lambic-brewing

I am preparing to brew the recipe from the Brewing Classic Styles book. A question that I have is that it does not mention moving the beer off the S-05 yeast, just instructs to add the Brett. Is this right, or should I move the beer into a secondary before adding the Brett?

Latest posts

Back