add hops to a glass of beer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
Okay then I had this idea . I would like to have a blonde with a bit more hop flavor . Dry hopping might do it but I did not get enough in I think .
My idea ( might be a dumb idea ) is to add in some hops to the beer before drinking it . Perhaps just drop in a few leaves or maybe make a quick strong tea and put in a teaspoon of it to a glass of beer.
Anyone done this ?

I sometimes use a french press with whole leaf hops to give it an extra little something. Let it sit for a few minutes, then decant the hop-infused beer into a glass. You could also do the same thing with a mesh bag. Obviously you don't extract as much as you would dry hopping for a few days, but it can be very nice!

I took an oz of citra and threw it into the French press with vodka. I keep it in the freezer and use it to hop up underwhelming beers (pun intended😜) works great and also makes an awesome hoptini!

enjoying one of my IPA's and a light salad.

0911001909.jpg

0911001912a.jpg

I sometimes use a french press with whole leaf hops to give it an extra little something. Let it sit for a few minutes, then decant the hop-infused beer into a glass. You could also do the same thing with a mesh bag. Obviously you don't extract as much as you would dry hopping for a few days, but it can be very nice!

So what do you use with the hops in the press ? I assume you put in some liquid and then brew it . How much do you use ?

This has been done by a few people:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89351&view=previous

But it seems that foaming could be an issue with it; it does look awesome, and that is a requirement for my brewing equipment.

Yes . I watched a video from who ever does them shows online and they used one of these. I thought about using a air filter with a modified filter as I think that is exactly what that is . If I remember right they used this for secondary like dry hopping .

So what do you use with the hops in the press ? I assume you put in some liquid and then brew it . How much do you use ?

I don't know if you've ever used a french press, but you would just put some leaf hops in, then your beer on top, let that sit for a few minutes and then press the hops and decant the beer, essentially it's a way to get the hopback/hop infuser effect w/o owning one. There wouldn't be any brewing required.

I don't know if you've ever used a french press, but you would just put some leaf hops in, then your beer on top, let that sit for a few minutes and then press the hops and decant the beer, essentially it's a way to get the hopback/hop infuser effect w/o owning one. There wouldn't be any brewing required.

Exactly. This is how I do it. I've never measured, I just put in a handful of leaf hops till it looks right. :) Use a larger press than you think you need because there can be some foam.

I've read a few different posts about people who throw hop pellets into beers that are really bad, or just need a swift kick. Some people even said they carry them out to bars. I don't know why I listen to people on the forums sometimes. I tried dropping a pellet into a beer, and it was probably the worst idea I've ever tried. Little bits of hops float all over the place. Some of it gets stuck in the foam, some of it floats around. It sticks to your upper lip when you take a drink, and you have to wipe it off. It doesn't taste the same as dry hopping, and it's like drinking lemonade with extra pulp. The beer is all gritty and unpleasant. Not a fan.

DFH uses Randal the Enamel Animal at their bar, and a lot of homebrewers use them:
Randall450.jpg

Also, you can use the Hop Rocket if you don't mind spending a little more cash:
40702b_1.jpg

If you don't keg, you could probably do a tea like you said. Again I would recommend using leaves instead of pellets (just like you mentioned in your original post).

I've read a few different posts about people who throw hop pellets into beers that are really bad, or just need a swift kick. Some people even said they carry them out to bars. I don't know why I listen to people on the forums sometimes. I tried dropping a pellet into a beer, and it was probably the worst idea I've ever tried. Little bits of hops float all over the place. Some of it gets stuck in the foam, some of it floats around. It sticks to your upper lip when you take a drink, and you have to wipe it off. It doesn't taste the same as dry hopping, and it's like drinking lemonade with extra pulp. The beer is all gritty and unpleasant. Not a fan.

I have done the pellet in a beer before. You do have to strain it through your teeth for the last coupel inches, but it does work rather well. Someone needs to come up with some smallish pouches for the duty of keeping the matter out contained if that is going to become more commonplace

I like the vodka idea. It gives me an idea too. You could make a boilermaker with an extra hoppy flavor. Whiskey + hops + beer.

I like the vodka idea. It gives me an idea too. You could make a boilermaker with an extra hoppy flavor. Whiskey + hops + beer.

Hmmm. I might just drink a beer and a shot of Canadian hunter and suck on a hop pellet .

Okay I did put one hallertauer pellet in a bit of my pilsner and microwave it for 30 seconds and poured some in my glass . It ruined my beer . Yuk . maybe a bit much for one glass.

Back