Dirty glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulfegebrewing

Reaction score
I was given a 60 year old glass carboy that has been in a basement for most of that time. It is pretty nasty. What is the best way to clean it?

Thanks!

I have put 4oz of household bleach in, filled it with water and let it soak for a couple of days. Then I siphon the water out so I don't splash it on anything and rinse the carboy with a jet bottle rinser.

Ive been using cipton, local brew store might have it thats where I got mine. I would use hot water soap and some grease, elbow grease that is.

PBW then make sure you order a carboy hauler. One slip and it could be a very bad issue for you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Toss it off a second story balcony and then go buy a better bottle.

Sheee-itt. If you consider following this advice, tell me first! I'll take it. I have a couple of 40 year old carboys and I believe they totally improve the flavor of the beer. :ban:

All of my carboys were old and filthy but in fine condition without scratches.
I used hydrochloric acid and rinsed them well, they are shining like old models now.

Back