Corny Keg as Boil Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke-is-great

Reaction score
I just finished my first all grain Batch and it turned out AMAZING. I'm trying to be as efficient as possible, newbie as I am. Here is my current process:

mash grains in cooler, 60 min
pour into boil pot
steep other grains, 30 min
add hops, boil 60 min
wait to cool, add yeast, and put in plastic bucket, ferment 2 weeks
add sugars and put in bottles, ferment 1-3 weeks

That was my first batch and it turned out really well, but i want to improve it (in efficiency and quality) by:
1 add irish moss to end of boil
2 cool with wort chiller
3 IMPORTANT: do all steps in keg

for mashing, have a grate on bottom that you would lift up and out to remove the grains.

for boiling, do about the same thing as with a regular pot, but in keg

for fermentation, cool with wort chiller add yeast and close lid w/ airlock on top

for secondary, add sugars and seal off top completely

So, main idea:
Would heating the keg without a lid damage its ability to hold pressure? If not, can you point out any other flaws in the procedure?

Why are you steeping your grains separate from your main mash? Everything can be/should be in the mash tun. As far a boiling in a corny keg...is that even possible? Mine all have rubber bottoms. Even if you could I can see no possible benefit from it and lots of negatives.

Why are you steeping your grains separate from your main mash? Everything can be/should be in the mash tun. As far a boiling in a corny keg...is that even possible? Mine all have rubber bottoms. Even if you could I can see no possible benefit from it and lots of negatives.

+1...

Have you ever TRIED to get your arm all the way down to the bottom of a 5 gallon corny keg? :eek:

IMO, the only kegs viable for cooking with are sanke kegs. Even then, you cut them up, drill/make holes in them so that they make proper kettles. If you did that with a corny, it's not going to work for serving too. IMO, use corny kegs to serve (or even ferment) beer, cook in kettles/keggles.

BTW, everything I've ever read has you put all the grains into the mash tun together. While some people will add different grains towards the end (to lessen their contribution) that's the rarity to the process. 99.95% of the time, it all goes in at the same time.

Latest posts

Back