Del Monte sliced peaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jehetzel

Reaction score
Ok so I have a question about del monte sliced peaches and I havent been able to find it in any of the forums. I have a 5 gallon batch of peach wine in primary right now. Now when I rack to secondary I'm going to lose some of the goods because of the peaches taking up a bit of space. My question is has anyone tried using the del monte sliced peach juice out of the can to get secondary back up to 5 gallons? Or is it even a good idea to do that? I know I can just add water to get it back to 5 gallons but I figured if I used the peach juice it would add more flavor to the wine and it would still be fermentable. Thanks for the help!

Hetz

Do not dilute with water, peach wine is light enough as it is. You could use the juice from the canned peaches, but be prepared for the S.G. to bump up since you will be adding more fermentable sugar---are you adding natural, light, heavy syrup from the canned peaches? Another option is to top up with shelf stable Welch's White Grape Peach juice (typically comes in 64 oz container).
In the future, try to get in the habit of making a "topping up excess" amount--just takes a little extra adjustment on your recipe.

I attached a picture of the canned peaches that I would be adding to top off my 5 gallons. Have you tried the welch's white grape peach juice in yours before? How did it turn out and did it give it a bit more flavor? Also, won't that also bump up my S.G. because it contains more sugar?
Would you start off with about 6 gallons next time to make up for the lost amount during racking into secondary?

Thanks for the help this is my first batch of peach wine....well actually wine all together. I was making cider prior to this and wanted a little change of pace!

peaches.jpg

What was your og ? I would be cautious about adding any sugar to it unless your starting gravity was on the low side. High alcohol takes time to smooth out and since peach is a light flavor you don't want too much alcohol. I would would top it with a dry white wine probably. I start mine with extra to allow for the first racking. Sometime I am close to 7 gallons starting out depending on how much fruit I am using.

Latest posts

Back